Breeding Swiss breeds off season

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Have any of you bred an Alpine to kid early in the year, dried them up and used hormones to bring them back in season to breed again and kid in the fall? So... kidding twice in one year.

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

It seems like that would be awfully hard on the doe's system. No time to recover and build back up her reserves. Even if that is possible IMO I wouldn't try it.

-Kim

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

With the headaches Bab's has given me she is going on the 3 kiddings in 2 years program, along with Shoofly and Birdy that I used to use on our brood stock, except we don't dry them up. We would breed first heat end of July kid Dec, re breed in Feb for July kids, re breed September for Feb kids, they then wouldn't naturally come into heat again until July.

Our CH CAE positive does were on the same schedule to get us show kids for us and sale, and we never milked them, just let them absorb their colostrum.

Now with CIDR's anything is possible as long as you have a buck in rut or AI equipment.

Sentimentally aside, does who are bred, milked and are milking while bred are healthier for the long run than does who are milked for a few months and have extended dry periods. IF the product at your farm is kids, than make the most of it with CIDR's Chris. Vicki

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Kim do a search through goatkeeping101.

Basically they are a plastic tampon looking device you insert in the vagina of a doe, it bathes her body with progesterone tricking her into thinking she is in season. Used with a protocoal of PG600 and sometimes Lutelyse it forces ovulation and heat. As someone who used to use just the lute protocoal I can tell you I will never use it again, and use the CIDR protocoal each year. Vicki

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Vicki. I'll check it out.

-Kim

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have one that is a royal PITA to milk. She was dam raised, pretty gentle, but flighty still and I have to catch her to take her to milk. Once she gets in there you couldn't ask for a better FF on the milk stand, but Geez... that penning her and catching her is getting really old. :twisted She threw 2 beautiful doe kids so I thought I might try the CIDR etc., and just see what happens. I have Renoir collected, plus some other pretty awsome bucks in my tank.... Hmmm.... thinking... thinking.... spend the whole season chasing down this crazy heifer OR CIDR... now let me think..... :lol

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Or do like Vicki and get rid of her:) I now have a wonderful doe that hangs on me never has tried to run.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I don't know about the kidding twice in one year...but, I do know the swiss and CIDRs are still working right. I pulled CIDRs on 4 last night.Not mine, these were brought here to be bred 14 days ago and I promptly popped CIDRs in all 4. Two are breeding tonight. The other two are turning red but not standing yet. Will breed them in the morning.
    Kaye