breeding question..

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Sep 12, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

late last night one of the older ladies was very much in heat, so i brought out jolly to give it a try. he was more than pleased with her, she seemed pleased with him too, normally she shoves him around. so they bred several times. i wonder if him being about 5 inches shorter will make it not work? i tried to put her on a downward area, but then they wouldn't breed at all, and she got real fiesty on me. when i let her go, they courted and bred.

i had tried her that morning, and she wouldn't have any of it. last night was the only time--now this morning, she again won't have any of it. does this mean it worked? will a doe refuse once she has been successfully bred? or is since she is older, her heats dont' last very long? and can my younger shorter fella 'reach' well enough to breed a full sized doe? he is somewhat awkward too! its kinda funny, but then again, not since i want babies!

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

She is simply out of heat now and no longer interested in the buck. Thats pretty normal for my girls. If they are receptive one day, they are usually not the next.
    It doesn't mean that it was a successful breeding, but if you saw them breed, then I imagine its done. :D

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I have one doe bred. She was thrilled with the buck on the first day I bred them, buck and doe each on a leash. On day 2, doe less receptive, but the buck got the job done (in seconds of course). So she was bred twice but only once if she would have had her way.

This was Sugar, a very big fat doe who aborted last january and keeps filling her udder up. She is so fat she has smushy fat pads around her tail. She needs to kid and be milked again in order to loose weight if nothing else.

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Last year our buck was smaller than our does. He was still quite able to get the job done right as they each kidded twins this spring. This year he is the tallest goat on the farm, and has no trouble at all reaching his girls.
    Good luck.
    Anita

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Bucklings can and do breed larger does. The first year I used Gabriel, he was under a year old and shorter than the older does. They all conceived. Kathie

6. Truly

Truly New Member

Kathie, I would add that Gabriel threw some nice kids too. :biggrin

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

He sure did. One of his yearling daughters stood second, between two Saada does at Billings this year. That was a first for me with a senior doe. This year, I plan to use some of his sons. One, Rocky, I used last year. His dam is Eve and I like the doelings he gave me this year. Kathie

8. chewie

chewie New Member

thanks for the info. he certainly has 'woke up', it was overnight practically! and his enthusiasm is over the top! i guess i'll see in a few weeks if those does come back in heat. i hope not!

wow kathie, i bet you were pleased, how fun for you!!