Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Have any of you ever used a half brother on doelings? Same Sire as the doelings, but different Dam. I have a really pretty buckling that I was considering using on my doelings this fall. His Dam has a really pretty udder and conformation. How would this be any worse than breeding father to daughter? Planning on AI, but want a buck for a back up plan.

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I think thats how it's done. But cull the crap : ) and thats a good thing to use a son on his fathers doelings, as long as the bucks dam is one of your best.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep all the time

4. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Yep, I've done it. The kids turned out great.

5. That is called a purity breeding. Done all the time in cattle. It will either give you great animals with no defects or you get the other extreme. Where all the defects show up. What that breeding does is isolate of the genetics for the buck.

Ken in Mo

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

7. Nancy

Nancy New Member

This year I had a pretty buckling born this year. He was a half brother-half sister (same sire) breeding. He is a gorgious boy although he was out of a grade so he got fixed yesterday. This year I am really considering that cross again and hope for a doe. It just depends if you want to do it or not.
    Silvia

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I breed half siblings. Last fall, I bred Rocky to a few of his half sisters. His dam is a beautiful spotlight sale doe. I got four doelings out of those breedings and definately plan to keep the nicest ones. Kathie