Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by janettemoore, Dec 5, 2007.

1. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

I would like to breed some of my dairy alpines to a Boar buck. Looking to have fresh milkers, and also maybe some better meat. Is this a good idea or not. I am a little late in breeding season, too. Is that a problem. I welcome comments.

Also is there anyone with a Boar buck of breeding age for sale in the Central Texas area? I am Northwest of Austin.

:milk

Janette

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have a little boer buck if you want am going to Huntsville Sat morning. and you could meet us there at noon. (cheap) now there is a thread on cross breeding stating that you don't get the milk production on the does like you would if you stick to the breed but I know it is done all the time.

3. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

I don't see why not....you will get meatier kids you can butcher or sell and your does freshen. The kids won't milk tons though if you intend to keep them for milking. But if you are just looking for meatier kids or you just want these does freshened then I would just go with the boer buck (many people do that)

Justine

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

You should get some nice meaty kids. Good for the freezer and the doelings are good for the % Boer herd. My Boer/Dairy does in my Boer herd produce the fastest-growing kids because they have lots of milk. Boer/Alpine is not my favorite Boer/Dairy cross, but it can still be pretty good.

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Emily, could you elaborate on why the Boer/Alpine isn't your favorite cross? I have bred one of my nice boer doelings to my Alpine buck and was thinking if she has any does I would keep them for my commercial boer line. I know they will probably have airplane ears, :rolleyes but any other drawbacks from that mix?

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

The Boer/Alpines don't tend to be as meaty as the Boer/Saanens-Boer/Lamanchas-Boer/Nubians I have owned and bred. But there is nothing wrong with them! Actually the least-favorite crosses I have had have been Boer/Togg, Boer/Alpine and Boer/Oberhasli. But they were still good goats that raised very nice kids. Breed back to a good FB Boer buck and the 75% kids are usually great! I had a Boer/Oberhasli who produced really awesome kids bred to a good Boer buck.
    The Boer/Alpine is not my cross of choice, but like I told my sister who breeds Alpines, if its what you have, its what you use. It would be silly to go out and buy, say a Lamancha just to cross with a Boer buck, if you have Alpines! :lol And of course, the type and quality of the doe makes all the difference. I imagine you'll have some very nice breeding stock from your girl. :):

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Christine, here is an example of why I *prefer* some other dairy breeds to cross with Boer.

Boer/Alpine doeling.

[​IMG]

Boer/Lamancha doeling.

[​IMG]

Both turned into very nice commercial does, but the Lamancha and her offspring were always a bit heavier. I had a chance to buy back the Boer/Alpine doeling...wish I had the money to swing it, I'd like to breed her to Junior! The owner of the Boer/Lamancha won't sell her back to me. :( :lol

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Yep look at them ears :D Nice does though. That was my drawback is those airplane ears I know I'll get. But putting some of that milking ability into the boer herd will offset that. I guess I'll let her keep these babies. Had kicked around the idea to just lute her and breed her to one of my full blood boers, but I'll just stick with this Alpine x thing this year. Watch... I'll probably wind up with 2 bucklings. :/

9. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I have 2 for sale ,one is a registered FB buckling with ABGA papers $300.00 and a % $200.00 soon to be wether but he would make a good plain meat herd sire . We dont sell them for at least 3 mo.and at 6mo. they get a fresh first CAE and CL test for the price above before leaving our farm ....... see them both on the New Arrival page boertrekfarm.com

10. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Emily I know who owns that LaBoer doe! I've seen Zephyr and she is a nice meaty doe! And no....Debra will not sell her! LOL! She loves that goat! :lol

11. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Hey but airplane ears are cute :D!! I wouldn't see any problem breeding an Alpine to a Boer.

12. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Oh, we have a mutual aquaintence! ;) Debra and I were just talking about Zephyr last week. She holds on to her like a limpet..... :lol

13. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Hi Jannete! We are neighbors sort of! I'm an hour east of Austin :D

I like LaMancha-Boer crosses myself and have sold all I have produced.

I have a reverse cross this year...a %Boer doeling bred to a registered LaMancha buck...I have only bred Boer bucks to LaMancha does in the past so this will be interesting.

14. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

Sorry for the delay in thanking all of you for the info on the dairy-boar crosses. Still want to do this. Maybe now that Christmas vacation is here and I don't have to drive grandkids to school I can get back on track

15. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I don't have any boers but I DO have both Alpine and La Manchas and there is a "meatier" difference between the two breeds. At least in my herd. My LMs are always "tubby"...born that way, stay that way. My Alpines have far less meat on their bones. More dairy? That's what I've always been told. I have had to learn to not compare the condition of my Alpines to the condition of my LMs. You can't compare them. They are so different...in attitude too!

16. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

I do LOVE those La Manchas. Don't have any right now, but their personalities are great. Maybe in my next life.

Husband finally had time to locate a couple of Boar bucks for sale nearby, and he got them today. They are range goats, but in good condition. We'll see what happens. Merry Christmas all.