Breeding Problems In Older Doe.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KingsCoGoatGuy, Dec 20, 2008.

1. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Hi All,

I want to quickly say hello. I am new to the forum :D We breed both Nubian and Alpine dairy goats for both milk and show. I also have a couple Boers for some extra meat. I am an active member of the Canadian Goat Society, 4H Canada, New Brunswick Goat Breeders Assoc. My main goal with my herd is to breed does who will meet every section of the CGS scorecard, as well as be long & heavy milkers. We are located in southern New Brunswick near the Bay of Fundy (The highest tides in the world.) We are all proud of our local show center, being the best center in the east coast of Canada!

OK on to my question. I am helping out some people who got 2 Nubian does this summer. Friends of mine who have had these goats since birth had to sell out due to health issues. They are awesome does one is a permanent CGS champion, the other just needs her last leg to become a permanent champion. Since I am the LAST breeder of Nubian's in NB with a purebred Nubian buck they came to me. The doe in question (Raven) was bred October 31, 2008. Normal heat period, bred 4 times by the buck and went home. 23 days later she was back in heat, as with her half sister Crystal. Bred the doe again & left Crystal to be sure she got bred (she was just coming in.)
    Last Sunday she was back again. Crystal seems to have settled and we are watching her. Again bred her 3 times they we seen and left them over night.

I have offered since they take great care of them to let them borrow my buck if she comes back into heat. I am thinking since she has NEVER been bred outside of her herd that she might not travel well. (They doe fine going to shows :sigh) It is not the buck problem as he has settled my does as well as another outside herd. (Which are all showing signs they are bred. :biggrin We can be sure in 58 days when his first kids are due :biggrin)
    What is coming in my mind why she is doing this is because of her hard birth this spring. They have ALWAYS followed the same pattern year after year. twins, quads, twins, quads, and so on. This year was a quad year, but she only had twins.... HUGE twins. The doeling was 12 pounds & buckling 15 pounds. They had to be delivered by c-section as they were to big for her. I am thinking they might have caused this??? She is only 5 years old, so not old but is starting to get old. :laughcry Feeding nice looking red clover & leafy hay. Using my grain mix of dairy pellet, race horse oats, boss, cracked corn, & soy bean meal. They each get a 1 pound of alfalfa pellets in the morning & night after milking. Teeth looked fine when I checked them and overall very healthy.

So guys & gals have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and Welcome ! I can not be of much help Iam afraid as have not experienced this. Vicki or Kaye will be on later and be able to help I think.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome to the forum Alex!

Yes the scar tissue in her uterus, if not well done by the vet, could be causing this. So could an undetected uterine infection from the C section.

If she recycles again, you might want to have her uterus flushed and put on systemic antibiotics before you breed her again. Running out of breeding season down here, not sure about up north with you? Can you get CIDR's in Canada? Vicki

4. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I am not sure if we can. Would have to call the vets on Monday. I will drop an email to a friend in BC she should know. To be clear we are talking about Controlled Internal Drug Release right?

I will be sure to get this done for them if she recycles. It might be the best to bring her down since we have one of the better vets for goats... (I would be darned to ever get her on the phone. She is always out having kids... The two legged ones.)
    Breeding season for my herd is done and over with. The big guy is starting to eat what he normally does. But I am unsure if our Boers took to the little buck. I know some people are still getting strong heats from some grade Saanen & Alpines. But nothing out of Nubians besides this doe.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Correct.....you have to get the sheep ones not the cattle ones :) Vicki