breeding pen arrangement

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Aug 24, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

do you use a pen that is nothing other than for breeding, put the buck in with the girls' pen, or the girl in with his pen?

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I do not have a special pen for breeding only as I do not breed year round. My oldest goats have obvious heats and are hand bred, as are any doelings with obvious heats. I just close the gate between the main goat yard and their small pasture and put the buck and doe in the pasture area, letting them breed two or three times. In late fall or early winter, I put a buck in my kid pen with the doelings I want bred. If there are doelings I don't want bred, I put them in the main pen. Then, if I'm not sure everyone is bred, I then put a buck in the main pen, having removed anyone to the kid pen who is to be kept dry that year. We rent, so I don't have things set up as ideally as I would if I owned the place. It's a lot of shuffling around, but saves me building extra goat pens and houses. Back in the days I had only one buck, I did put does in his pen. Kathie

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Usually I hand breed each doe as she comes into heat, but this year due to the buck shelter collapsing, I rearranged the pens out back. Am expecting a new shelter in approximately 3 weeks, so I've locked all the Saanens in the barn and all the Nubians in the back part with field access, and Vincent and Freedom are both being used on does I didn't plan for them this year or all the adult does of appropriate breed. While the unlucky bucks are out back in the smaller only room for one buck pens.

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

In the past I've always pen bred, so I would seperate each group of does and pop the buck of choice into the right pen...left them that way all fall and tested with Bio-Tracking around NewYears. I have seen people tie the doe to the fence and let the buck loose, or keep the doe on a leash and let the buck loose.

This year I am going to *try* to hand breed as I have three bucks and three breeds of goats...the plan is to seperate the does into 2 pens, kids and older does, and give the bucks their own pen, leaving me an empty pen to put the lovebirds in. We shall see how it goes.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Well its been exciting so far all of the does are in love with big hunkin 3 year old Vincent, he sweet talks them through the stock panel window while freedom sneaks in from behind. lol!

6. Thanks I needed that laugh. :rofl