Breeding ND buck/LM doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doublebowgoats, Oct 20, 2008.

1. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

How do you "help" the short guy do what he needs to do? This is the second heat cycle for my doe to try to breed with this guy. She likes him; he likes her, but he's too short. Hints?

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I don't help him up per say. Rather, I dig a small hole and position the does' back feet into the hole.

We do this all the time for young bucks who are otherwise unable to reach my big does.

Sara

3. doublebowgoats

Thanks! will try this now. They are both out there screaming!

4. coso

coso Guest

If you had a sidewalk, stump or something to back her up to would work also. :biggrin

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well my does' layed down for him I guess as I did nothing.

6. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Or put him up... in the back of a trailer, on a small bench, straw bale. I'm all for less work and digging sounds like work.

Trisha

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Well, you don't have to dig a crater! :crazy

Nubians (or many LaManchas for that matter) just aren't going to easily hop up on a bale of straw... hence the hole idea. Works like a charm here.

Sara

8. doublebowgoats

Well, I am about ready to turn this buck into sausage as he just rammed me when I tried to lead the doe to a good spot. And he is 3 and has horns so those horns are pretty big! I have them running together for now. Maybe they'll figure it out together like yours,Sondra, and I won't have to intervene. For now they are both frustrated.

9. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

I like the digging a whole idea.........I did this same type of breeding last year and used the goats porch for the buck (our barn is an old house that is raised up) . It was not an easy task I tell ya!!

Sadly I didn't get to see the out come of the breeding, that doe and one other were killed in a dog attack.

10. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

I had the same problem last year with my ND bucks and my Alpine does. Didn't help that my buck(lings) were only 8 months old, so were very small compared to the does. Anyway, I have platforms in their pens (to keep them out of the mud in the winter) and I just led the doe in front of the platform. Took a couple of tries, but the bucks got the idea and just stepped up (in a manner of speaking) to do the job. 5 months later, two sets of twins.

11. doublebowgoats

The deed is done! Without my help. It must be true: Where there's a will, there's a way.
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I like having all your input and stories.

12. Bethany

Bethany New Member

I like the digging a hole idea for the does back feet....might just have to try that. Last year when I was using a young buck, I made a "platform" out of wood and backed the doe up to it...worked pretty good.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I may have to dig a hole just for my young LaMancha buck

14. doublebowgoats

Last year I used a young Lm buck and the doe didn't like him plus he was small. I had to lead her to an incline (near the buck she liked) to help him. I wasn't even sure he really did the job but she ended up having triplets! This is that same doe but I let her be with the ND buck this year. She really likes him. The trouble was mostly because he is pretty aggressive and did not want my help. He's little but very powerful and I'm actually afraid of him.

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

That would never happen here. No animal is worth that risk. Your (and family, visitors, etc) safety should be top priority. If I had a buck that I was afraid of or that was aggressive, he would put down. Period. :soap

That being said... I'm glad things worked out for you and the doe was bred. :)

Sara

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah but a ND she can tackle and put down on the ground quick and this is something , Michelle you should do. pull his back leg from other side twards you quick and throw him down then sit on him for a bit. He won't be a problem for you after that. And if I can do it so can you :biggrin

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Didn't she say that he has big horns? Too dangerous in my opinion.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. ;)

Sara

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

He may have but that is what I would do with him. JMO

19. doublebowgoats

Well, I will try the tackle thing on this guy. But I've been thinking about selling him to a friend who has all horned animals. And in this buck's defense, he is not mean or crazy and I can put him on the milkstand and do his hooves and trim his hair and he is a gentleman. And if he has to have wormer or other meds he is a very good boy.

20. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I like Sara's idea of the hole. <shrug> if it don't work out or he's mean...dig the hole a little deeper and put the offender in it. Next spring plant a few flowers on top of it.
    I just don't deal with mean bucks, because they generally piss me off to the point I shoot them, anyway. Usually after I have put them in the "buck can".
    Kaye