breeding & Lysigin ??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, May 23, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK... sooo could I give the 2nd dose of Lysigin after they are in with the buck for breeding or must I really wait.

With a new baby & my mom visiting breeding crept up on me. I gave the 1st dose of Lysigin on Wed. I really wanted to start breeding June 1st... BUT I'd more like to do the *right thing*.

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well as I see it, you have two options.. you could wait and breed after the 11th, giving them their 2nd round or put 'em in with the buck on the first and don't. If Vicki say's "Not" to do/give anything the first 50 days after breeding, I'd heed her warnings. :biggrin

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

where did Sondra's post go?

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:shrug I know she had one there.. :really

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I was wondering the same thing THE cyber GREMLINS ARE AT IT AGAIN:)

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I just don't do anything the first 50 days of pregnancy, but that doesn't mean a vaccination can hurt the pregnancy, we don't know. But other than the first 50 days of pregnancy, no vaccine, worming etc., is going to harm the fetus. There is also no milk withdrawal on vaccination. I do try to time giving my girls I keep their Lysigin 4 weeks before and then again the weekend before (21 day after the first shot) the buck is going in the pen or they will be bred that month.

Do make sure you watch your technique on vaccinations of bred does. It's not the time to put an armpit vaccination into a heavy bred doe who is then to sore to walk around and get exercise.

Ya'll are already breeding does? Fall milk? Vicki

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Yes, Vicki I am breeding almost half my herd to kid in Nov for fall/winter milk... the rest will be bred to kid in late Feb/Mar

it was to my advantage last yr to milk yr round, but I HATED Jan kidding

8. NubianSoaps.com

Funny story while I was away showing husband sold almost a freezer full of milk, soap, all the honey I had jarred and all the eggs for the week. He told me we ought to be milking more goats :) WE! He did go out and clean my vacume pump for me, since I had sucked a bucket of bleach water into it milking at 4 am :) Vicki

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

:lol {{nod}} although I am the one to say WE while my dd looks at me... and questions WE?

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH yeh I love that WE part.

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

They are funny creatures, aren't they!?
    Lynn, we're thinking of milking through the winter also.. only because DH's new cow is going to calve in Nov, and so we won't be going anywhere! :(

12. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Yeah I love that "we" part too. They all of a sudden perk up when the money comes in. :rofl but when it's chore time it's another story.

sheryl

13. NubianSoaps.com

Chores? Not one soul on this place knows how to run the milking machine but me. I bet my grandson who is only 2 would be helpful, he at last knows what ends the inflations go on :) Vicki

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:rofl

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well DH has a month to learn :)

16. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Well.... I can milk, 18yod milks, 14 & 13yos's milk.... 13yos is training 9yod & 6yos... 9yo can milk 7 goats start to finish.... 6yo can milk 3 start to finish

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

YEH but Lynn I am too old to start having children again to train to milk :)

18. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Understand.. and my dh has never ever milked a single squirt

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ROD has but not using the machine and with this many goats.

20. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

My dh will milk if he must and he occasionally helps with the other chores.