BREEDING FOR FALL KIDDING

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tim Pruitt, May 17, 2008.

1. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I just put our junior herdsire Blissberry Mr. Goodbar in with my yearling does. Last year, we had does who kidded around the end of October and the first of November from Kastdemur's Next Expedition. For those who want winter milk, this is the time of year to pen a buck with your does for fall kidding. Be sure to mark any activity on your calendar and watch tails. A yearling buck cares less about (rut) breeding season than an older buck does and will usually settle does to kid in the fall.

2. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Due to an accidental late summer breeding (August), Sugar kidded in mid-January this year. Do you think it's too soon to re-breed her? I was planning on letting her rest till fall and do everyone at the same time, but the idea of having everyone due at the same time is nerve-wracking. Just having two due this month about wore me out (remember, I'm a newbie :)). But, I would like to make sure we have winter milk, too.
    Kathy

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks for the tip Tim... I have only grown bucks (at the moment), but I am planning to put 9 does in with their assigned bucks on June 1st... then 3 doelings June 20th... for November kids. I am both scared and excited by this idea. LOL

Need to revamp my plans though based on getting a fantastic new buckling.

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I'm considering this , I've had horrible coccidiosos problems this year, I think If I switched to fall birthing thru Jan and No kids from Feb- sept it would naturally cut down on problems with parasites. Of course still use prevention, but less break through problems. and In the spring I have the green house and garden this would spread my work load out more instead of NO free time in the spring, little or none in the summer.

5. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

How serious is it though for the cold weather to be what the babies are born into? I know you get a heat lamp, but is there less of a survival rate amongst winter-born babies?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I am tired already as I milked all winter long this past winter and no way am I doing it again. I am too old I think and get tired of the milking/the goats/ the whole shebang. So this year am not milking thru.
    Tracy as long as you have the breeding dates and are there for the birth there isn't a problem. Warm bedding etc. they do just fine.

7. Corky

Corky New Member

:biggrin So.....you are going to do it again this year. Hummmmm.... Glutton for punishment aren't you, Tim. :crazy

I have one that will kid in July so hopefully I will have year round milk too. She was bred for Spring kidding but had other ideas I guess. Now she is due July 9.

Have fun this Winter and I don't want to hear you whining about freezing your backside off in the barn. :nooo

8. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

We do this too and have for years - never quit milking. One real advantage to having fresh milkers in the fall is that if you need to cull a few, they will bring premium prices, cause everybody is looking for winter milk and it's hard to find.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah but when the kids are old enough to fly the winter cold means no flights north. Does it hurt your kid sales? Vicki

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Exciting Tim!

I am looking forward to the arrival of his first kids. Keep me posted. :)

Sara

p.s.
    Mr. Goodbar's sire, CH (pend) *B Blissberry Show Me The Money, finished his championship this past weekend. :lol