Breeding Buck had CAE

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goat girl, Feb 1, 2008.

1. goat girl

goat girl New Member

:sniffle
    I have a small herd. Just found out the buck I bred my does to had CAE. Yikes! I am not worried about the babies--they were going to be all meat ones anyways--but what about the bred does---they also were housed for several months with the CAE buck. If I had all the goats tested that were with him, if they did contract cae from him, would it show up in a test result this early--or does it take a few months before it would show up in a blood test? I know I made a BAD mistake for not testing the buck for CAE--so what is done is done, now I am just figuring out how best to go forward. Since I only have a few goats this was one idea:
    But first: can my family and friends/customers drink the milk from a cae milker safely?
    One idea if the milk is okay for humans, was to purchase 3 doelings and keep them in a separate pen, feed them pasturized milk, and sell for meat all the goats that were with this buck in the fall when I would dry them off, and then would have a "new" herd.

any other suggestions---I don't want to have a CAE herd and if the blood test is not completely reliable or might not surface for a year or two--and I don't want to run 2 herds--1 CAE and d1 CAE free.

Christine

2. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I'm not sure how long it takes for the titers to show up on a blood test but I do know that all research so far has said that it IS safe to drink CAE positive milk. Humans cannot contract this disease through the milk. I did read, however, that it may cause an abnormal HIV test results but I'll get back to you where I read that. Hope this helps a little. I'm sure someone else will know how soon you can test. Good luck!

ETA:
    Here's some hard science that states it MAY cause false positives. It's just the summary because you have to pay for the whole research paper but it has the results/conclusions stated clearly.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VNM-49WM4M0-3&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F31%2F2003&_rdoc=1&_fmt=summary&_orig=browse&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=7273f49e5f051656e04558ff47b13110

I also cut/pasted the conclusions so you don't have to read the whole thing if you don't want to.
    Conclusions

Surface glycoproteins of HIV-1 and CAEV share structural regions essential for viral adsorption and for induction of neutralizing antibodies. Thus, human contact with CAEV eventually could be a possible source of HIV-1 false positive reactions and must be considered in the interpretation of HIV serologic results.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would test the colostrum of the does as they kid and then do a blood test in the spring. Have you tested everyone prior to the buck coming? If you have tested before, and retest through the same lab they should be able to tell from the titer level if it has risen since the last test.

Sorry this happened but other than does who broke off scurs fighting with him when he first got here, and obvious blood on both, there isn't alot of ways adult animals can give each other CAE. We never had conversion, ever and we ran positive does for years with negative bucks. Vicki