Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been raising and breeding standard sized Lamanchas for almost four years. Almost two years ago one of my does kidded with a set of twins, buck and doe, and while the buck was normal sized, the doe was only about 4 lbs. At the time I simply believed it might have been the way she was position in utero. She grew fairly well until three months old and then stalled. She was on Calf Pro and plenty of 16% sweet feed and alfalfa so I simply thought it might have been the fact that she was a late May kid. Her cousin was an early may kid and her weight gain did something similar. I still checked fecals, wormed for strongyles (about the only thing I've ever had to worry about) and went about my business. Everyone I talked to told me she'd probably start growing come spring, so I went ahead and sold her to a friend who planned to breed her this fall. Well, she took her in March and she was 56 lbs then. The lady just told me she's only 65 ish lbs. I ended up having to give her that doe's cousin, who was my keeper doe from that year, and taking back the doe. She's a nice wide yearling but she just petite. I'm planning on running a fecal, mineral deficiency test, and have the vet do a physical exam. I'm curious though if any mini-Mancha breeders think that I could breed her to a Nigerian dwarf? I really don't have space for a dry 2 yr old but I don't want to just sell her as a pet if I don't have to. What weight would be safe for me to breed her to a Nigerian? Has anyone had a standard sized throw a miniature doe without a Nigerian involved? Would it even be safe for me to breed her to a Nigerian?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would love to help but unfortunately I just have Nigerians so I can’t really help.. from what u said I would think it would be safe to breed her to a Nigerian but don’t take anything from what I say.. have u asked the vet about it? I’m sure they could tell u wether or not u could breed her with a Nigerian? How old is she now and would u know what she weighed by any chance? Becuz if u did I could easily compare one of my Nigerians to her weight and see if it would be safe..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts