Breeders?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:hello

I would like to find someone who is knowledgeable about goats in my area so I can call or visit for info and help as I learn about my Alpines. Is there anyone near the Dolgeville, Herkimer, Little Falls, Poland, etc. area in Central NY? I'm feeling quite alone up here.

-Kim

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

How far are you from Utica ? I do not beleive there is anyone on this forum close by. Look in the ADGA breeder directory and call Tatiana at Cornell and see if she can find you a mentor. You are welcome to come here but it will be a drive.

The breeders you bought your girls from should be more than willing to have you spend a few hours with you.

Patty

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I only have one Alpine so far. She I bought from a back-yarder, who sold their goats after only having them for maybe a year. Great people but not experienced. My two other purchases in the Alpine line have not been born yet. My other "girls" are pets to keep my alpine company until the Alpine herd is built up a little more. And the two that are not born yet are coming from Western NY. She is experienced and has been wonderful but she lives about 5-6 hours away. I will look in the registry but having not "known" them or their experience through forums or websites I am very leery of asking for "advice". There are some listings in the member book not too far away but again, I am cautious. I'll have to be careful when meeting them, I guess. Thanks for the tip on looking into the member book. I think I might try that again if no one closer to me answers my posts. :(

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Email Tatiana and you can pm me some names and I will let you know if I know of them.

Patty

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Where can I find Tatiana's e-mail address?

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

tls7@cornell.edu

also in Sept we will be having a 3 day goat outing. It starts on a Friday night and runs thru Sunday. You can stay in the bunk house and meals are included. The cost was verycheap. I think it would be great for you to go.I will post more as it comes closer

Patty

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

That sounds exciting. Where is it? And thank you for the e-mail. :)

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Don't limit yourself to just Alpine folks, plus you likely won't buy locally very long anyway. Most folks don't. There isn't a local goat club that puts on shows for you in the area? Shoot even local here is at least 1 or 2 hours to club meetings. Join, even if all you do is get the membership list and newletter, then find someone close to you with nice stock. Clubs are usually listed in the back of your membership book, also joining your breed club...Alpines International etc...

But alas local mentors, sometimes like finding vets, doesn't always work out. Depends on their knowledge and sorry but a willingness to help you succeed. Vicki

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I'll take anyone that has the four-legged wonders. LOL Doesn't have to be Alpine breeders. :) Thanks for the idea about local goat clubs being in the back of the book. I'll take a look. Good idea Vickie. I appreciate it.

-Kim

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

The outing is a little south of Cortland. Check the new york state dairy goat breeders assoc.

Patty