Breed Standards

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Aug 8, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

copying this over from the email... I finally got in and deleted a few thousand emails...

BREED STANDARD

Mini LaMancha

The Mini LaMancha is also known as the Mini Mancha. The Mini-Breeds
    and the La Mancha were developed in the United States. The Mini
    LaMancha is a medium sized dairy goat breed. They are gentle but
    hardy with the will to milk and the ability to maintain production,
    both in milk production and offspring.

The Mini LaMancha's ears are what make this breed distinctive. There
    are two types of ears that are acceptable for does: elf ear and
    gopher ear. Bucks must have gopher ears to be eligible for
    registration. The elf ear has a maximum length of two inches. The end
    of the ear must point up or down and a small amount of cartilage to
    give the shape is allowed. The gopher ear has a maximum length of one
    inch. A nearly nonexistent external ear is preferable. This ear type
    has little or no cartilage. The end of the ear points up or down.

The Mini LaMancha face is straight or very slightly dished with
    straight being preferred.
    A hair coat that is short and fine is preferred. All colors and
    patterns are acceptable for the hair coat. All eye colors, including
    blue eyes, are acceptable.

The maximum height for does is 26 inches (66 cm). The maximum height
    for bucks is 28 inches (71 cm). There is no required minimum height
    standard.

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

is this what we are going with?

3. Goater

Goater Guest

The only thing that I question, mostly out of ignorance, is the height question. Do we want or need a minimum? One thing that you see in manipulating a breed (dogs, cats, etc.) is going smaller and smaller. When that happens, it seems, all sorts of problems start popping up. I'm remembering what I heard a vet say about breeding for appeal rather than function. The mini breeds function very well but if all of sudden breeders are going for "teacup" goats (a gross exaggeration, I know) what will happen to the sturdiness and health of the goats. Food for thought...

4. Nancy

Nancy New Member

What is the the average height for a mini? We have a 1st gen. mm that right now is 11 months old and is 19" tall. We're just not sure yet because this is the first one we have gotten.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Lynn who's breed standards are those??

Here is what TMGR BREED STANDARDS are:

All animals can be registered whether or not they meet breed standards and used in an individual breeding program. However Breed Guidelines Will Be Adhered To In The Show Ring.

All breeds of Mini Dairy Goats will have a height minimum of 21" for does and 23" for bucks as of Purebred Status (F6)

MiniLaMancha
    Mini LaManchas can arry more fleshing than the swiss breeds. They have a straight face and any color and combinations are allowed with frosted ears and nose permitted. Their distinctive ears are described as follows: Topher ears have a maximum lenght of on inch with little or no cartilage. Elf ears have a Maximum length of two inches with cartilage allowed. Bucks must have gopher ears to be entered into the purebred registry. Glue eyes are allowed.
    Maximum height preferred guidelines:
    Experiments (first, second & third generations) are 30" for does and 32" for bucks.
    Americans (fourth, fifth & sixth generations are 29" for does and 31" for bucks
    Purebreds must be 28" for does and 30" for bucks

MDGA says the following:
    Re: all mini breeds

How tall will these breeds be?

The preferred height will be 21 to 25 inches for does, and 23-27 inches for bucks, measured at the withers. Smaller would difficult to milk and larger would be too close to the minimum heights for the standard dairy goat breeds. The preferred height is a recommendation for breeders to strive for, but will not be considered a fault in the show ring.

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

They had come through the email list I though... am I losing my mind? Likely....\

OK Sondra... :lol from an email YOU sent through on Aug 6th...

title

[MiniManchaDairyGoatClub] re: Breed Standards a post from Penney Tyler

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH OK that is what Penny was trying to push thru and she may have gotten it done too But believe she was working that up for MDGA and so far MDGA has adopted no standards for the MM s

But TMGR does have breed standards on every breed.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Mini LaManchas can arry more fleshing than the swiss breeds.

Wow can't even imagine starting this with a negative. There is no reason at all for this above statement in a dairy breed.

I would think the breed standard should follow very closely that of the LaMancha with some minimum and maximum changes in the breed obvioulsy, but only in purebred.

As a breed club we have nothing to do with the breed standards of the registry we use, unless we are their official breed club and they ask us to have a breed standard committe in which to work with it. Unless in time we just want to be our own registry also...or go to ADGA. Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I agree with Vicki on this and I know that MDGA wants the various breed clubs to come up with a standard so think that is something the President should bring up once we get a club going.

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK thanks! I had just seen it come through the email list and had not seen it on here and thought better to add it...

sorry!!

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't be sorry it needed to be put on here so we can cus and discuss :)

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

hysterical... like that combo!

13. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Why are straight faces prefered over dished when full-sized LM have straight AND dished?