Bred older doe showing blood

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by marytx, Dec 8, 2008.

1. marytx

marytx New Member

Molly was a spring kid in 1998. She is maybe bred, and would be due January 25.
    Tonight she was hanging a little string/blob of blood. No other signs of any kind, except that she wanted on the stand at feeding time, and was somewhat vocal when I came back to the house. She is not normally one who wants attention.

I know I just have to wait and see, but is this a sign that she might miscarry?

thanks,
    mary

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes and no. Older does have very loose cervic if they have been bred alot, so they can show mucous and if the placenta is attached close, blood, very early in what will then be a very normal full term delivery. Do know if it is placenta previa and she continues to bleed or hemorages there is nothing you can do without and immediate C section, so when you are about 2 weeks from her due date, I would watch her very carefully so you can decide if you can cut her open to save kids should this happen. If she continues with alot more blood, and she is valuable to you, or the kids, than they can suture the cervic shut and deliver her C section...if this is how you opt out, than make sure you find a vet who will do a standing section on your doe so she does not have to fight anesthesia also. She could go on to kid 1 or 2 more times in the hands of a good vet. Hopefully it's nothing but a hemoroid up in the canal or old scar tissue that ripped and bled on the cervic itself. Vicki

3. marytx

marytx New Member

Thanks, Vicki, That's exactly what I was wanting--some information to think about. DD asked me what it meant, and I just didn't even know. Molly is my oldest goat, one of the first I brought home, as a kid.
    She is not a valuable goat other than that and of course we all want the best for our animals.
    mary

4. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

This may be stupid of me, :/ but what if you Luted this doe for her to abort and then rebred her this spring, wouldnt it be possible for the embryo to attach in the uterus the right way for a normal birth and the doe not have to have a stressful c-section ??

5. marytx

marytx New Member

I'm hoping she does not abort. I'm not going to abort her on purpose.

At her age, she may or may not breed at all in a given year. She has missed one year already.

I'm not planning on a Caesarian. I'm planning for the best.

6. NubianSoaps.com

Mary although everything can go well, I would at least know how to do a feild necrospy so you, if she does start bleeding heavily in labor, can get the kids out alive, sacrificing her, rather than the whole lot. Vicki

7. marytx

marytx New Member

Vicki, where would I look up information, maybe photos?, on that?
    thanks,
    mary

8. NubianSoaps.com

Maybe start googleing goat C section. Other than you are not taking care to cut into the skin for stitches later, and simply using a scalpel (Jeffers carries disposable ones) making a cut from hip to belly and then from belly to rib so you have room to work, also giving the stomachs and intestine that will come out room to come out and still leave you room to open the uterus and get the kids out quickly. So it's more of an anatomy lesson than true C section. Vicki

9. marytx

marytx New Member

Well, this old goat is in heat today, and standing for the buck. :sigh