bred does coughing...constantly

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Dec 10, 2007.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I have two does, now bred 50 days, who have been coughing since being exposed to off-the-farm bucks. No temps, no runny noses, just a persistent, loose cough. Should I treat them?

I don't think lungworm but it could be. They were dosed orally (two rounds) with Cydectin pre-breeding.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

cydectin doesn't get lung worms I don't think have a fecal test for lung worms done. also could be just wind and dust causing the caughing. Use some antihistamin and Vit C and see if it stops.

3. ellie

ellie New Member

I really like vitamin C in such cases (assuming it's not lungworms). Get the chewables...my goats love them! And I've seen persistent coughs disappear within a few days.

Ellie

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Lungworms are caught exactly like you think. The buck visits with lungworm and coughs them onto your goats. If you don't have standing water and snails, than they will not reproduce and continue the cycle, but your goats will cough them onto each other, over and over. Levamisole and Ivermectin are the best things to use, but make it 50 days after the buck left, don't take chances useing either too early in pregnancy. Lungworm isn't life threatening like being anemic from other worms.

Always know a little about the herd you use bucks from, or if you let others use your animals, know their problems. Then treat your animals accordingly. Vicki

5. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

My girls will greedily eat the plain Vitamin C tablets. I don't even need the chewables, which is great because I noticed my CHILDREN eat the chewables that are meant for the goats! Stinkers!

Which antihistimine can I use on goats? And the dose please.

They are now 57 days bred! Yippee!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I use adults 1 capsul benedryl but read somewhere that they use childrens liquid don't know the dose on that.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Goat 101 Saanendoah oral meds

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thanks! I KNEW Sondra would be adding the Saanendoah info. :) I wasn't sure about using Benedryl for a cough. I'll give it a try.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If it is allergy related like dusty hay etc then it should help also ck their bedding for amonia build up as this will cause caughing and can cause chemicle pneumonia

10. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

It's been icing and raining here lately. No dust flying around. No bedding, so no ammonia, good fresh hay. There is dust in our alfalfa pellets but they aren't coughing while eating those. My 2 y/o doe coughs while she's eating her beet pulp and grain...it's all wet. Then they both just cough throughout the day. It's usually just one or two coughs at a time, nothing coming out of noses or phlem out of mouths. But not a dry cough either. Cough...cough...

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sure hope you stay free from the ice storms paralysing everyone up there. Get some fecals done for lung worms.

12. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Vicki, shouldn't it be Ivermectin plus. I thought only the "plus" got lung worms? Or am I thinking of the wrong worm?

-Melissa

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

believe your right on Ivormec Plus for lung worms also the test for lung worms is Baermann test

14. NubianSoaps.com

It's Plus for liver flukes, a flukeacide, why like Valbazen which also contains a flukecide you don't use it during the beginning of pregnancy. Ivermectin plain gets lungworm. Vicki

15. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Ivomec 1% injectable given orally? Is it the same dose as Ivomec Plus?

Thankfully we've not had it too bad with the ice. THIS year we are prepared! It has passed and we are just wet and cold now.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

nope don't think so

17. Melissa

Melissa New Member

liver/lung its close. lol thanks vicki.

-Melissa

18. NubianSoaps.com

Other than using it for a flukicide or for lungworms, you really have to fecal to know what dosage works for you for using Ivermectin for stomach worms. Here it's pretty useless unless I use it as a cocktail with another wormer. Vicki

19. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

:mad Okay...I have dewormed the girls with Ivomec for lung worms, 10 days later I dewormed with Levimasole for lung worms. Still COUGHING! I have been giving Vitamin C tabs (2000 grams per day) and Vitamin E (800 IU per day) and still they are coughing! Tried the Benedryl, too. Oh, and a round of VetRX! And still...Cough/fart, cough/fart, cough!

This coughing is really bothering me. It seems to put a lot of strain on the back end...

We are over 90 days bred now. Suggestions?

20. coso

coso Guest

Yeah we call it the Cough&toot. Is it dusty where they are at? Hay, gravel road close, something like that.