Bred does coming from a farm witha mastitis problem

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I just bought 3 bred does from a farm with an mastitis problem or something. Some of the milking does had blown teats or half working bags . They are very high producing girls . Some had lumpy udders.

Sad part is these does came from excellent lines.Willow brook andrews diplomat {which is the grandsire to my top milker } Gch Singing Spruce Medallion Dylan , Mcquitty Farm Aloka , SGCH Willow Run Dream Bianca ,Rocky Run SM Deity , GCH HY-Crest Jodies Julie , Willow Brook Valiant Design to name a few.

I am not sure if the problem happened with the curent owner or the one before. The goats are very well fed almost to well fed. The man is trying but family illness has taken his wife out of state and they have 80-90 goats.

How to I proceed . I plan on giving them lysine but anything else I should do other than the reg stuff ? The are on the other side of my propety until blood work , wormings and shots are complete.

Thanks < Patty

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'd keep them away from the herd until they freshen and you can determine if they have mastitis. I'd also pull their kids and bottle feed them, then vaccinate the doelings with Lysigin before breeding them. It's really a shame that people get goats from excellent lines and then don't take proper care of them. Kathie

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Guess I should make it clear . The girls I bought are FF and there udders look fine. 1 is due weds. I just want to do everything I can to prevent problems .

Patty

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

give the series of lysign and also other normal vacines get your blood work done worm them Isolate at least 30 days.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would dry cow them, Pirsue if you can get it...Tommorrow with 2cc of gentamycin in it if you can't.

Remember alot of mastitis comes from nursing or being fed raw milk. I would not have purchased even kids from a herd like this, unless they fed cattle colostrum and another form of milk. The damage is usually already done. Good luck with this. Vicki

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

If all else fails I will pull there kids at birth and cull them. The price and the pedigrees was worth it for the babies. I would love to save the does also but if I cannot I am willing to cuill them.

Thanks