Bred doe Miscarrying?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by nappint, Jan 9, 2009.

1. nappint

nappint New Member

We're new to goats and this is our first year to breed. We have a wonderful mentor in our area and of course I have read as much as I can on this board but I have a confusing situation.

I have a doe that according to my calendar was bred on Nov. 29th. She did not come into heat last month at all that I noticed and I should have noticed since she has a very obvious heat. Starting yesterday I saw she was showing all her heat signs: flicking tail, mounting other goats, being vocal etc. so I went to check her and noticed she has a small amount of blood on her vulva. It's bright red, and just enough to be noticeable, not dripping or anything. This morning was the same and I just went out there this evening and it's still the same. Her temp is normal, she's acting fine - eating, pooping etc. but still acting like she's in heat and then there's that blood...I looked at the calendar and her 21 day cycle is due today/tomorrow so it's right on time for her normal cycle.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance,
    Judy

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If you have a buck...I'd darn sure put her with him. She may have miscarried and you wouldn't have noticed it. They don't generally miscarry exactly on a charted heat. But, if she didn't settle and had a quiet heat, then she would be right back on time with her heats.
    Breed her.
    Kaye

3. nappint

nappint New Member

Thanks Kaye - I'm glad to hear it's not a big deal. Well, other than her not being bred anymore :sigh.