bred doe and butting

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by wolfgang, Dec 12, 2007.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I need advice. We purchased our goats last winter. We have a Nubian doe that we took to another farm for breeding. We have 4 goats total. 1 Saanen doe, 1 Nubian doe and 2 wethers. The Saanen has been the "alfa" female from the beginning. Since we brought the Nubian home all the goats have started butting her. Seems to be a lot more than before she was bred. It is happening during feeding time and around the hay feeder. They butt her in the side, not just head butting in play. How concerned should I be over this. The butting in the side concerned me as this is our first experience with goats.

Thanks for input on this in advance,
    Michele in Iowa

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Sometimes if you take the one that is doing the butting and bullying and put her in a pen by herself for about 2 weeks and keep her separate from all the other does, then reintroduce her to the herd, she can take a different position in the herd once they gang up on her.

I believe with all my heart that this is what happened to my Renada. I think that Syrah who has grown into quite a large doe was feeling her dominance during breeding season and I think she is the one who whacked Renada and caused her spinal injury. Syrah has got the real big dominance thing. I only have 3 dairy goats and one is her doeling, the other doe is fast and just scoots out of her way quickly. I've threatened to put her in the pen with those boer does... think they would teach her a lesson quick.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep I would separate them can cause abortions and injurys
    That is just why my new doe is not going to be put in with any older does now.

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I had a doeling lose a pregnancy in 2005 when her own momma butted her against the barn. No worries, sold them both "as is"....and the doeling was rebred.

Agree that your goats may simply need to be re-shuffled. There will always be top and bottom goats. The positions are fluid as time passes.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Even bathing and shaving for shows, seems that the girls forget who is who. There is always some tusseling going on. Just watch them, some does can be very very poor herd queens. Vicki

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Oh, and now I separate by ages so big does are not with young ones.

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

How big of an area do you have for them? If my wethers started butting does, they would be in the freezer the next day! :twisted is it possible to feed in two separate areas? a long enough pellet feeder, so one can't get the other with her head? I would think that if your barn "ain't big enough for the two of them" then your going to have your hands full when kidding time comes..
    My other suggestion has been stated by others.. move that Saanen out somewhere (a friends barn perhaps?) for a couple of weeks to give her another take on her position down at your barn.
    And have I mentioned putting those wethers in the freezer? :biggrin

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I don't mind the queen maintain her position with a tap or two, and find that a little scuffle is very normal from time to time......but some goats get mean....My brother had a big Nubi doe a couple years back, that appeared to hate other doe's kids. She would go after them, and did butt a couple hard enough to kill them..... This aggressive behavior was getting worse , so she had to go.

Oh yea.....A wether butting one of my does with much more than a playful tap, is a dead goat.

9. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep I agree watch them you may have to seperate them. A friend of mine had a 10 year old nubian doe she was HUGE.. she was drinking water one day and younger Lamancha doe came over to drink too well this did not go over well and the Nubian back help several feet and ran with her head down at that Lamancha doe and before we could get in there and stop her she hit the L and put her in a wall , we buried the poor Lamancha which was also heavy bred, the Nubian moved to a retirement facility (they new what she had done but put her in a pen by herself) and that is where she passed away. I will not put up with does or bucks doing this to one another a dominance head butt or three is ok but out right viciousness is not tolerated here. I have sold a many a good goats because of this. Now I do have one 9 year old lamancha that can't stand kids (2 legged) but she doesn't try to hurt them unless they get her cornered...they know better to do that so no one gets hurt.

10. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Well my herd queen, SGCH Pruittville's Huckleberry is coming 10 years old. I watched her this year as two younger does butted heads over and over again. This happened because one was away from the herd a couple days in the kidding pen until she kidded.

Finally, Huckleberry went over and put a stop to the fighting by butting heads with the aggressor a couple of times.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Michele
    Try replying again by hitting your alt and s buttons on your computer

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Tim like yours, my elder does were always the peace keepers, be it young yearling milkers fighting or my grandsons running around in the pen too much, they always put a stop to the noise or commotion. Vicki

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I don't supposes their is anyway me as the overall boss can "encourage" a doe in particular to be herd queen, one that has had the role before but was knocked down by a more aggressive doe? not that the queen in rule now is a bad queen, just that I favor this doe and would like to see her on top.

-Melissa

14. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

That's the way Renada was. She was a peacekeeper. Sure do miss her. :(