Bottle feeding ??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Jun 21, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

How many times a day should 8 week old kids be getting bottlefed? Currently giving them as much as they want 3x a day 6 hours apart (6am , 12, 6pm) . Just checking to see if this is ok.

thanks
    Susie

2. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

At 8 weeks of age 3 X a day is fine. Some are successful with feeding 2X a day. Make sure though that you are using a goat milk, whole cow milk or a good quality milk replacer. Milk replacer from soy is not a good choice.

3. Milo was fed 25oz 3x a day at 8 weeks. I wasn't able to give him all he wanted, at that time I had 5 other kids eating. SO 6 total with only two does in milk.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I personally at 8wks of age they are still getting 22oz 4 times a day.

5. susie

susie New Member

They eat up to 32 oz each feeding (they are Boers) goat milk. Also have hay minerals meat goat pellets water offered.

If this seems ok I'll just keep doing it-- and cut down to 2x a day when they are eating more of the other stuff.

susie

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Guess it is ok if they are bloating from eating that much at one time. I don't know never do that until I am going for twice a day feedings as I measure x amount into lambar for x amount of goats. Then when I go to twice a day feedings the lambars are full to the brim and they have at it. I feed cold by then and keep cold so it is just left out until evening meal.