Bottle feeding guidelines

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I need a simple layout for bottle feeding to give to those who are buying bottle babies this year.

What I have is feeding 4 times per day, first thing in the morning, at about lunch, at supper, and then just before bed, and feeding as much as the goat wants (I will start them out this way and they will go to their new homes by 2 weeks).

What guideline should I give for going to 3 and then 2 feedings per day? I want this to be as simple and black and white as possible for a new person. Should I go by age, or by how much the baby is eating? And what are the numbers for either.

Thanks!

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Hmmm. I don't have anything written down, but once they go to milk, they get as much as they want for a minimum of 4 feedings a day until I have to go to work, which is towards the end of the week. Then they get as much as they want x 3. once they're drinking 20oz three times a day and are about 4 weeks old is when I go to twice a day. Usually by now most of them have gone to their new home. At about 3 weeks old is the time I also start introducing CalfMana and keeping Alf-Pellets out for them as well as a smaller water source.
    I'll keep kids on milk twice a day for 4 months minimum. and I recommend that to people buying kids from me. If you can't afford to feed it, then you really have no business keeping it.