Bottle Baby

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Jan 2, 2009.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I have searched and searched and I think I have it down...not sure so will ask for clarification.

I have a 2 1/2 week old bottle baby. That is eating 3 full bottles (16oz) a day and maybe a half a bottle extra split between the 3 feedings. I fill the bottle feed and then have more warm milk to ad to the bottle in case. So roughly 56oz of whole vit D cows milk (no goats in milk right now) a day. I warm it, but am wondering how to transition from warm to cold milk as I am planning to put together a lambar soon for the baby. I will be starting round 1 of Corid this Saturday (tomorrow...my days are off....been in the hospital with my mom since new yeears eve) as he will be 20 days. I have read and reread and reread from birth to kidding I wanna do this kid right. So any and all imput is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Sarah

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I hope you have him on the lambar now as is sometimes hard waiting very long. I give room temp milk but not ice cold even in lambar yep start on the corid if not using Detox-M which is powdered given daily in milk.

3. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I have feed ice cold milk in the lambar in the past. But don't switch him that quickly. Slowly move to room temp milk, then just barely warmer then ice cold then cold. But this time of year it is probable better to stick with room temp because if it gets cold out then ice cold will be too cold for the baby. I just put mine in the microwave or warm it in hot water until the chill is gone.
    Theresa

4. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

He is not currently on the lambar, haven't bought or made one. Started to order one, but changed my mind, decided might easier to make it myself...just need to buy the nipples and tubing! I have been warming to about 80-90 degrees (what seller recommended...figured that was what she was feeding) I have left water out and tested temp and it is between 70-80 for room temp, so he is getting slightly warmer than room temp now....

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Just curious.. is he the only kid your feeding? I'm wondering why you'd want to get him on a lambar if he's the only one. :/ Is he a standard size goat or a mini? I get mine up to 20oz , 3 times a day until/unless I have a whole slew of kids to feed. Any more than 3 and they go on the small lambar. I've always fed it warm. :sigh

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

He is the only one. I just know that the lambar would be easier to trust DH to use! I hate asking him to feed (and everynight since new year's eve I have been in the hospital with my mom and DH has been feeding and poor Luke is sooooo hungry when I get home, so I think he just feeds him a little (or till his arm gets tired) He is full size (Nubian)

Sarah

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Why is it so hard for them to be maternal?? Maybe you should only serve him part of his supper an tell him you got tired of doing it.. (sorry, I'm a bit cranky)
    I had to put the bottles in the fridge, filled to where they needed to be, then show him how to heat it on the stove, to stick his finger in it to get the right temp (after I made him wash his hands!) :crazy how to put the funnel in the bottle and re-fill it, put on the cap and watch him feed the kid... funny, he actually likes feeding them now :biggrin

another thing to consider is I'm feeding mine 20 oz.. and goaties are always hungry later ;)