Bottle baby help-update

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jdpearson, May 16, 2008.

1. jdpearson

jdpearson New Member

Took him to the vet this morning. No cocci or worms. No temp. Normal activity .Still loose, green poo. Vet thinks maybe overfeed or problem with cow milk. Herman weighs 4.7 lbs. Vet gave him Panacur and Metronidazole. Said to feed 2 oz at a time and try to slowly change over to goat milk. I hope to some improvement soon. Thank you for your advice.

This is my first post here. I had hoped it would just have been an intro but it's not. I have a 2 week old ND buck kid. I've had him for 6 days. He spent his first week with his mom (wormed, cocci prevention, cd/t). I put him on whole cow milk. Really hated the bottle but is doing better. Taking about 4-5 oz 4 times a day. He sleeps indoors but he goes outside with 2 -10 wk old does that I also brought home with him. He mouths grains and hay. His poo was looking good until today. It is a little wet and very mustard colored. Some are little yellow pellets and some are yellow blobs. Temp is 102. He is running and jumping. Seems hungry all the time. He has Probios but nothing else. The breeder said to start cocci prevention at 3 wks and give cd/t at 4 wks. I may be paranoid about poop after reading the goat sites and diseases that occur so just tell me if I am. :/ Any advice would be welcome.

Herman now has watery green poo. :help2 He is still acting normal but I am concerned. I've called around for meds but no one local carries much. I have an order at Jeffers but it won't be here until Monday. Should I be doing anything? I do have meds for poultry-tylan, sulmet, ect.

Thank you
    Susan

2. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Re: Bottle baby help

Well it sounds OK to me....my kids poo is always mustard colored from the milk. Ditto on the yellow pellets/yellow blobs poo also. If it was me I wouldn't worry. Sound perfectly normal to me.

Justine

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

That's what mine did.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep they have yellow for quite along time while on milk so not to worry

5. jdpearson

jdpearson New Member

Re: Bottle baby help-now green and watery poo

Should I continue to feed milk? Maybe less than he was taking? He's still bouncing around but pooping all over himself. :sigh

Thanks
    Susan

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Is the fact that he has watery green poo and update? I did not notice that detail before. If so I would suspect Cocci from what I have heard/read, but am not sure.

7. Chaty

Chaty New Member

What type of sulmet is it ? is it the 12.5 if it is a liquid I would start him on that till the other comes in.Also if he is starting to eat grain and most do at this time that can give them the runs ...also if he has milk overrun into his gut it can cause it also. Other than that this is what I would do as sulmet wont stop the cocci but it can help till the other comes in.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Other than infants with colostrum poop, it's never normal for a kid to have runny poop. Even dog poop consistancy tells you that they are getting too much milk not often enough, or they are having a change in feed. It should never go to diarrhea that sticks to the hair.

It's why on this forum you will hear over and over, have you fecaled. Being outside in the grass with two other kids, and having nursed mom for 6 days....cocci, worms, he came with ecoli, really it can be just about anything. Why taking poop to the vet, it's $10 here, or running a fecal yourself will answer the questions.

Does he need to be wormed...cocci treatments in which Sulmet really isn't the answer, is his temp up now that the poop is green? Are you offering warm milk all the time and then he got cold milk? Is he getting into something outside, like foundation plants?

2 weeks is early to have to treat for cocci and most worms so of course all the other bacteria and virus that causes baby poop comes into play...most would cause a fever.

Do not stop feeding him his milk, he already isn't getting alot, although I would not increase the amounts.

Might want to call the breeder and see how her kids are. Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

totally agree with Vicki on this now

10. Chaty

Chaty New Member

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK so he is treating him for possible ecoli I think but not sure why if no worms he gave the panacure unless he is thinkg tape worms.
    Give the little guy some probios and if you have so slippery elm I also cook up reg oatmeal and blend it up real fine and add to their bottle helps with the runs.