Bottle babies - can't remember amounts!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by prairiecomforts, Dec 9, 2007.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

I friend of mine just called and she has two high % boer bottle babies she wants to give my children. Her and her hubby have no time for them with their work schedules and they are even going to drive them to our house (over an hour away.) Anyway - they are 2 and 3 days old and doing well. But I can't remember the feeding amounts. We used to raise 30 some bum lambs at the old place - but for some reason I am having a mental block this morning. Can anyone hlep me with the amounts and feeding times?

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Too cool for your kids!!
    I start mine on 3 bottles a day, and work them up to 20 oz each feeding. At first they might not drink the whole 20oz but it will not take them long. And I keep them at that feeding until they are eatting well and then drop to 2 times daily. Some people I think do 4 feedings a day but that just does not work with our schedules. I do the morning and night feeding and the kids are responsible for the afternoon feeding when they come home from school.

Good luck with your new babies!!
    Oh, and we want to see pictures!

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I start mine off my full sized goats including the two boer babies I raised this year with 4 bottles a day usually 8 oz at first then when they get up to 16 oz start moving to 3 times a day with 20 oz each or one pop bottle full.
    and they get 3 bottles a day for a long time till I get tired of feeding 3 times or start running low on milk. then move to twice a day. then to once a day. at abt 12 wks. old. I never use replacer only goat milk or Vit D whole milk from grocery store.

4. prairiecomforts

Thanks ladies!

Tammy just dropped the babies off and they look really good! Little girls ears got a little cold when she was born - so I am going to have to keep an eye on them. Currently it is -8 here so these little ones are in a bis runbermaid container bedded with straw in my front entry. (They will be going into the laundry room when I get caught up on washing!! ;)) I am pretty sure they will be in the house for a while and then I will move them to the heated, insulated bunny barn! They are so cute!! The childern have already named them - girl is Noel and boy is Skippy. What a crazy day!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!! cute names now for pictures!!

6. prairiecomforts

pictures are going to have to wait until tomorrow! We had Brandon's birthday party this afternoon and the last of 8 little 8 year olds just left for home. My head really hurts!! :sigh Anyway - I am sure tomorrow will be quieter around here soI will get some out then.