Book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Thinking for gift for dd. She does most, if not all, the animal management here (she's 22). We have the basic ones along with a few vet/medical types. I was thinking something more along the lines of how to improve your herd, breeding, etc. Any suggestions?

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Goat medicine by Dr Mary Smith .. Hands down the best out there.

I have a copy of Management and diseases of the dairy goat by Dr Samuel Guss for sale . Also a good book.

Patty

3. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Ellie Winslows books are excellent! I highly recommend any of them. I use Making Money with Goats as as reference manual, all the info you need is right there at your fingertips.

Ken

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

As far as reading on herd improvement goes, a friend gave me a booklet I think was put out by ADGA on Linear Appraisal. It has drawings of the parts of the goat that are being judged along with the points assigned. A subscription to Dairy Goat Journal would also be nice. Besides articles on breeds, they also feature an article where the reader can judge a few goats from the same breed and then they give their results and reasons.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ellie's books. United Caprine News, they don't quite have so many whack'os writing for them as Dairy Goat Journal!

Or what about a cheese or soaping kit? Vicki

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I really enjoy Ellie's books. I appreciate Goat Medicine but it isnt easy reading. Ellie's books are not only informative but fun to read and are great for taking along and reading whenever, where-ever. If you can hide them from the others in the house who steal them to read :lol

7. ellie

ellie New Member

Hey, thanks for the good press, you all! I appreciate hearing that the books are helping! Just ran out of Making Money with Goats so am off to the printer to fetch some more.

By the way, for those within driving distance of Oklahoma City, I'm going to be a keynote speaker and run a marketing workshop for Goat Days at Langston Univ on April 26. Would love to see everyone there!

Ellie

8. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I highly urge you to attend Ellie's seminars! I attended one in Idaho and it was PHENOMINAL! You will learn more than you ever thought you could. Even if you think you excel at your marketing, Ellie will teach you a new trick or two!

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH need to mark my calendar

10. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Thanks for the recommendations, all!

Hmmm, OK City is only 6.5 hours from here. Could be a great opportunity to spend time with dd. :)

11. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Bummer! I will have a 2 week old, a client within range of delivering and it is in the middle of projected LA dates. Oh spit. Oh well.

12. ellie

ellie New Member

Hi LeeAnn,

I'm getting a lot of requests for workshops...all over the country, so there may be more in that part of the world before the year is out.

For anyone on the West Coast, I'm doing a workshop at the Northwest Oregon Dairy Goat Assoc. Conference in Oregon City on Feb 23rd. I'll note new workshops as they get scheduled!

Ellie

13. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

How about out East ??? Anything lined up ?

Patty

14. ellie

ellie New Member

Hi Patty,

Nothing for sure, but I have an alpaca group who want something on the east coast. When I get details, I'll put it on here. My son just moved to nothern FL so I'm really hoping I get somewhere close enough to him so I can visit with the grandkids!!! :D
    Ellie

15. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

A friend of mine sent me "The Illustrated Standard of the Dairy Goat" for Christmas last year and it is awesome.

I have yet to get one of Ellie's books but I so hope to get them soon.

Autumn

16. ellie

ellie New Member

I agree with Autumn, the Illustrated Standard of the Dairy Goat is a must for anyone trying to breed for goats that are well put togehter!!!

Ellie