Boer

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Not really sure where to post this as of the new OT change but I'll try here.

What is the best average weight/age to butcher a Boer goat?
    Next year at fair my daughter may do a meat goat and goat meat where we live doesn't do all that hot at the Jr livestock auction so daughter would want to do all she could to auction a top quality animal. Personally I think she should stick to chickens since she got $1015.00 :shocked for three Cornish x.

2. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

At olur county fairs when our kids showed the ideal weight is around 100 lbs. There was no minimum weights just a maximum of 125 lbs. The goats were broke down into 3 categories - lightweight, medium weight, and heavy weight. The grand and reserve champions almost ALWAYS came from the medium weight category. They show the goats here like lambs. They want them very muscular and long. Usually a purebred boar doesn't do as well as a cross as a fullblood has to deep of a chest and they want it to look like a lamb. She'll have to do alot of exercising every day to have a top quality animal.

The cost return I think is almost alway better on chickens though, lol. My son always did chickens so he wouldn't have to walk an animal. So, I agree with staying with chickens, lol. But good luck on doing a goat.

Ray

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Best weights are generally 90-105 lbs. Depends somewhat on the goat, of course. A goat with the frame to carry it can look darn good at 110 lbs.

Disagree with the Fullblood vs. Percentage animal. A chest in proportion to the rest of the animal is very attractive. Of course it also depends on whether the sheep judge is judging the animals, or a goat judge is judging. We do best with Fullbloods and High Percentage Boers - 88-97% can be extremely competitive. My children always pick the best animal and don't worry about Fullblood or % when making their decision. (We won GCH and RGCH at the Spokane Jr. Livestock show in May 2008 with 2 Fullbloods. GCH and RGCH at both Kootenai and Bonner Fair were high % Boers.)

$1015.00!!!! Wow, you guys must have some serious support at your Fair. Was she the Grand Champion? Is she allowed to only show when auction animal? What did the GCH meat goat sell for? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

4. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Yes, the chickens were GCH for the meat pen. The GCH laying pen of three went for over $700.00 from the same buyer. She can show as many species as she has time for but can only take one to auction. And she has to do showmanship for whatever one she does auction. Of course she is a big showoff and loves showmanship and wins lots of the time. Next year she will be adding dairy goats to her show list, along with the chickens and dairy cows she already shows, and maybe meat goat or lamb.

OK, now the big question what did the GCH meat goat go for, hum let me look on the auction program thingy----ok here it is $5.00 a# and it weighed 102 the other three goats went for $3.00 a# and $3.50 a#

Lamb averaged about $4.00 a# with the GCH going $14.00#

GCH beef $ 5.50 but most were at the $3.00 range.
    GCH hog $7.00 # but most at the $3.00 to $4.00 range.

You know what.........I think she should stay with the chicken to auction.

5. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Our grand champion meat goats at our fair usually sell for $2,000 average depending on the year. Your right wheytogosaanens the judge they use is almost always a sheep judge I don't think we've ever had a goat judge the meat goats. Thats why they always want them to look like sheep instead of like they should imo. At our county fair we have very good support from businesses. With the price of oil up and we have alot of oil type service companies as well as drillers in our area they are more flush with money and actively support the kids. GCH chickens at our fair usualy are in the $1500 range, with sheep around $2500 and hogs $3-4,000. Our GCH steer usually brings in about $5000. They dont sell them by the pound here just by the head.

Ray

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Of course there is no guarantee that she will win GCH every time with the chickens so maybe she can do both and then sell the one with the best $$ potential. But hey, chickens is definitely a better deal, and they usually give the animals back to the children! (Same with rabbits around here).

Camille

7. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

That's what she did this year, she also had RGCH fryer rabbits but auctioned the chickens.

8. When we raised Boer goats we took them to market at around 90 pounds. Yes, if they have a large frame 100 to 110 pounds is good.

Wow. Those have got to be some kinda chickens!

9. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

The kids are born in the spring, dam raised and grass fed and then when I have to start feeding them goat pellets in the cold,it's time to butcher what is unsold and I dont want to carry over, by then it's usually just wethers as the doelings are bred and they sell fast, we have never ate a FB buckling or doe yet.