Boer X wether with puffy eyes - what are we dealing with here?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by wheytogosaanens, Aug 3, 2008.

1. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We have a 2 day old Boer X wether (well he will be wethered) that had some weepy eye yesterday (1 day old) and one eye was slightly opaque.

I have heard that a goat this young can not have contracted pink eye, but we put some Tomorrow in each eye, just in case, and a shot of Biomyicin. This morning both eyes were puffy and the puffy part was red - upper lid, basically. He is obviously uncomfortable. No temp.

Gave him some benadryl (we do have a bunch of yellow jackets around due to the birthing fluids and placentas of 8 does that have kidded this past week. The dogs consumed the placentas, but you still have that last discharge around). Puffy isn't as bad since the benadryl, but we are still at a loss what this is and what is the best way to be treating it.

And yes, dams all are wormed, all pre-birth CDT vaccinated, good mineral etc.

Thanks for your help,
    Camille

2. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Are the lids normal? I had a buck kid born with entropic eyelids this year.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Roll the eyelids out and see if you're dealing with entropion. Sometimes at that age you can just roll them out and it will fix it. Some need more drastic measures. But, I've, so far, been able to fix the problem with just rolling them out several times a day. Be sure and keep the meds. in the eye that is colored...no steroids.
    Kaye

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

My little guys were really bad..rolling did nothing. I went back and forth about just putting him down at birth but he was so happy and chipper I just left him-His eyes clouded up and ulcered but they never really weeped much and he got around fine. I forgot all about him but when I pulled him out to butcher at 12 weeks his eyes had cleared up and started to correct. I was pretty surprised-I don't think that normal. According to goat Medicine infection or blindness usually results.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

roll it out, put teramyacin in it if you've got some, or today. And check it every couple days, You may have to clip his eye lid, but it will probably clear up on it's own. I had one, and My eyesight is so crappy I couldn't see it to be sure that's what it was, so I took it to my vet, and She with the bright Light conformed that his eyelashes were rolled around bothering his eye, but she wouldn't clip it Or give me Eye meds for it. she wanted to shedule a $200 surgery and put him under. I chuckled and said No mam, we'll just take him home and butcher him and eat him for supper this weekend. It cleared up on it's own in a week, and it was baaaaad.

6. wheytogosaanens

Didn't look like entropion to me... but I'll check again. How would entropion account for the swollen eyebrows? We have only had one case of entropion and it had weepy eyes and cloudy issues, (clipped the eyelid and he recovered very quickly) but no swelling. guess every case just has to be different. I'll report back how we do.

Camille

7. wheytogosaanens

Quick update....

DD and I checked eyelids last night - in the house - and could clearly see eyelids/eyelashes on the outside of the eye. So no entropion.

He hadn't seemed to be nursing very well in the pen, so we tried a bottle - No go. So then we tubed him with 10 ounces of 2nd day colostrum we had milked from his dam. Took him back to the pen and he ran over to his dam and started nursing vigorously. Swelling in eyes/brows is all gone now as well. Guess he stopped nursing because he was so miserable and then didn't have the energy he should... That was a "well, duh" moment for me...:)

I'll keep up the eye drops and let you know the outcome. Thanks for the help.

Camille

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

strange things just seems to pop up with goats around :) glad he is doing better.

9. Jennie

Jennie New Member

glad he is doing better.

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Glad to hear he is better. I have had a kid or two that seemed to have this from birth as well, cleared up in the first week. I wondered about bruising from the birth canal or maybe got something in his eyes? I never did anything with it, was usually gone in a few days similar to your case.

11. wheytogosaanens

Well his eyes cleared up (what was with the puffy stuff?) and then I found him dead this AM. At a loss to figure out what was going on with this guy... Maybe something neurological? But then why the puffy? And if it was a sting, once the puffy was gone he should have recovered, right?

Well, the other 22 kids are healthy and romping, so I'll just count my blessings. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Camille

12. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Sorry to hear that. I'd really like to know what that was all about though...

13. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

How odd was that? I was shocked when I read that he had died the next day, I was sure you were going to tell us how wonderful he was doing.. I'm so sorry you lost him. :down Goats can be befuddling at times!

14. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Yes, very odd. I read through this thread and was very surprised he up and died.

15. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

Wow :? Shocked that he just died like that.
    Sorry he didn't make it :(

16. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Oh no, sorry
    You hadn't dissbudded him yet had you?