Bo-Se

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Can someone tell me when to give this to goats? Can you give it to pregant does or do you give it before breeding? Do you give it to babies when they are born? I know I had seen a thread somewhere that Vickie had done abut it but I did a search and couldn't find the one I was looking for. :sigh

Wendy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well this is what I do. all babies get it at birth plus a vit E capsule
    doe get it 30 days prior to breeding as do bucks. does get it 1 to 2 wks prior to freshening. and anyone gets it if sick. so yes you can give it to preger does.

3. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Sondra. Can you tell me what the doseage is per weight?

Wendy

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

1cc per 40lb

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sue Reith has an excellent article on Bo-se in the goatkeeping101 site. It's worth a read. IF you ever have reason to pull blood for bloodwork, add a selenium level to it, so you can see if you are just using it profilactically or if you are using it because you need to, way different dosages then. 1cc per 40 pounds is certainly not going to treat true defficency in a herd. Vicki

6. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks New Member

sorry for a little bit of a hijack... I had to purchase the bose gel, from jeffries, as the vet here doesn't think selenium maintenance is important... ( in fact any info you get from the Internet is prob. incorrect in his opinion) anyway... Any one know how much of the gel I should dose with?

7. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

What you guys get is called Bo-Se and what we get here at the farm store is called Selenium E. I am trying to get in touch with someone to see if we are deficient in selenium and copper and any other minerals. Also want to find out if gypsum might stop absorption of vitamin's and minerals. We have to call the agriculture college here to see if there is anyone in the know. I doubt it.

Wendy

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Someone using selenium gel needs to blood test, then use it, then blood test and see if it is being utilized and the dosage you used. Vicki

9. CGFarm

CGFarm New Member

I am thinking this is the same thing, but the seleuim e gel doesn't stay in the system for very long.
    I saw a post on one of my lists that they had done a study and found that milking does need 100 IU per day of Vit E.

What problems are you seeing?
    Denise

10. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Just wanted to let you know that the Selenium E that we have here is injectable. :D

Thanks for the answers. I have read all of the articles in Goatkeeping 101 a few times. I just get mind boggled. :crazy

Wendy

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

good for you Wendy!!