Bo-se question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bilrite Farms, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

We are using BoSe for the 1st time this year. There are warnings all over it not to use it on bred ewes. Most of our adult does are about 2 months bred. Is it safe to give it to them now or should I wait and use it pre-kidding, same as CD/T?

Thanks,

Trisha

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Wait until pre-kidding shots. I don't use it during the preg. stages. Course I give it to everyone pre-breeding.??
    Kaye

3. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Thanks Kaye. I didn't get it from my vet early enough this year. I'll just wait and give the shots pre-kidding and get it into our health schedule from there.

Trisha

4. susie

susie New Member

Yep, that's what my Vet recommends too. Small chance they will abort, so why take that chance?

Susie

5. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

The local vet here wouldn't give it to me! I told them I wanted it for pre-breeding and they would not order it and told me I didn't need it! (these are definately NOT sheep and goat people!) So I decided that I am going to be doing more business in Mobridge SD which is almost a two hour drive from here - but at least the little gal that is there is willing to help with goat issues and if she doesn't know, she will find out! So refreshing!

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Speaking of Bo-SE, I know Sondra has mentioned that she uses it for issues like Mastitis and such. I know she's getting ready to make a trip and won't be on here, so could someone post how Bo-Se can be used for Mastitis, etc., give the dosage and number of shots? I would like to put this information in my notes. I've been using Bo-Se on my herd for a couple of years now and I really like the results.

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have not had mastitis but I have had bad injury and I will boost there bo-se at 1-2 cc to boost there immune system . I also give them vit b injection and extra calf manna for a few days.

Patty

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I believe this is in the Sue Reith Bo-se article in goatkeeping 101. Vicki

9. Gabe

Gabe New Member

I'm wondering why a doe is at risk to abort if BO-SE is given during pregnancy? It is only Selenium and vit. E
    I also heard not to give BO-SE to bucks before breeding season. I guess it is for the same reason? :shrug2

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Yes I give bo-se before breeding to my boys . But you should give it at least 2 weeks {i think } before you begin breeding . It will lower spem count for a week or 2 after the injection is given.

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Goats don't, this is sheep information that we follow....BECAUSE :) Like Valbazen...one breed of cattle...one breed has turned the warning to all ruminants about abortion, actually slipping at implantation. Like Tramisole....it will cause some shaking and salivating if given at too high of dosage...so now it will kill your goats....Vicki