Bloody stool

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dusty, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Dusty

Dusty Member

I have another problem with my new goats! When I first got them a month or so ago a female the kids named Fudge came down with a very watery stool. I took a sample to the vet and he said that It was coccidiossis and she also had worms. He gave me enough meds to treat all four. They where released on to new pasture that had never had goats or anything else on it. The wormer was valbazen and corid for the coccidiossis. They recovered fine and had 2 kids each. The last several days I noticed that fudge had some crust on her tail, kind of reddish looking. I thought that it might be from kidding last week. I noticed her stool this morning wasn't hard pellets, but one large turd. Not runny, but it had a clear kind of bloody liquind around it. I assume it is coming from her rectum, but I can't be sure. Could this be from just kidding last week? She seems fine otherwise and has a good appetite. I doubt she has been vaccinated for anything.

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

? Did you worm her after kidding, if not I would definately worm her now and then again in 10 days. As long as its been a week since she kidded its probably just cleaning out and not comming from the anus. If it is comming from there I bet is worms...yep times to worm her.JMO

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes worm her and also with something other than Valbazen. Can you order Cydectin? vicki

4. Dusty

Dusty Member

Is there something wrong with Valbazen? The vet recommended it since the previous owner was using cydectin and had just wormed them a few weeks before I got them and when tested they showed very high worm load. We figured the may have built resistance to Cydectin.

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I would switch wormers after using it before...I rotate mine each time I worm.

6. buckrun

buckrun New Member

The worm load may have been a failure to catch the hatching eggs left behind even tho the adults may have been killed in the initial worm treatment. You must de-worm on a cycle that catches the hatchings and often when people say a wormer failed for them it was actually because of no followup worming.

Keep in mind to be sure to use goat dosages as well. None of these products are dosaged for goats who metabolize faster than the animals the chems were designed for.

Lee

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Dusty........one thing that I would be working towards (you living in the south) is getting a microscope to where you can run your own fecals. You really need to have a fecal ran on this goat to see what you are still dealing with here. It may be worms, cocci, or both. .....and as a note here, most vets never recommend enough dose of anything to work enough to solve the problem. If they go by the book, and not by experience, they will often fall short of doing your goats any good....or temporary improvements at best.
    The reddish crusty stuff on the post kidded doe, often referred to as ketchup looking stuff, can be very normal for a few days after kidding.....it may not be coming from her stool movements at all.

As another note here.....I would get with Tim Pruitt over there , and kinda do what he does. Tim has years of experience, and great management tactics..........and his goats reflect that.

Whim

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Dusty down here you need to use cydectin and then again in 10 days use ivormec plus then run another fecal in 10 days to see that you got all the worms. Valbazen is great for kids but not real through for adults.

9. Dusty

Dusty Member

Which cydectin? I see that they have an injectable, pour on, and sheep drench.

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

From 101 ... http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,2077.0.html

Wormers:
    Cydectin Cattle Pour on 1cc.per 22 lbs. orally
    Valbazen liquid 1cc-10 lbs orally
    Ivermectin Plus Injectable 1cc per 30 lbs orally
    Ivermectin 1% injected at bottle dosages for lice, Mites and nose bots. Orally for stomach worms and lungworms. 1cc per 50 pounds orally .

11. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Dusty,
    It was nice meeting you and getting to show you around the farm and to talk goats. To follow up with what we talked about, I would worm and then worm again in 10 days. A trip to the Vet with a bit of fresh goat manure will cost about $12 (a local Vet's price) but will tell you if your wormer is effective.
    Hope those newly disbudded kids do ok for you!

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH am so glad you two got together.

13. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Yes, Dusty was here. He is a nice guy. He learned how to disbud and also we trimmed some feet. We had a great time. Welcome to the forum Dusty.

14. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin THANKS BUNCHES, Tim!
    Dusty, you have a wonderful mentor there...listen to his every word.
    Kaye

15. Dusty

Dusty Member

Enjoyed the visit, and filled in alot of missing pieces on goat care. Also saw some of the prettiest does I have ever seen. Now I have to start saving up more money so I can get me a milk goat. Thanks for all the help.

Dusty