blood in one side of udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Carolyn, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

DD1 came in and said that Mocha has blood in the milk in one side of her udder. DD1 came in for DD2 to check udder, no cuts, no lumps or bumps, not warm at all and will let them milk. She did find a way to get out to get out of the pen by laying on her side and scooting under the gate- she is also in raging heat (mini Nubian) I will look for other posts about the same thing, but we should keep milking her 2 x day right? I hope she just got bumped. What should we look for-- I am heading over to Goat 101--Thanks. Carolyn

2. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

She was laying on her side and kicking/pushing herself under the gate, I am hoping that she bumped the udder when pushing herself under the gate. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and see if they can check the milk--- is that possible or will I sound really dumb? Thanks, CArolyn

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Unless a cow vet for dairy it's worthless to ask, they will have you infusing an udder with an injury and causing mastitis or giving some psycho meds that won't work anyway.

Go out yourself and feel of the udder if you can, milk it, we can pick up things kids can't. You can send in a milk sample to a lab...LSU etc...but make sure you pay attention to shipping if you can't get it there cold they will not run the sample and you wasted your shipping money. If you have a lab local it would be worth the drive. Vicki

4. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

We don't have a lab here--- hmmm maybe I will check with NDSU in Fargo. I will freeze the milk--which is the best way to send? I have read the mastitis and milking technique so DD's and DIL are going to practice cleaning the teats--what does everyone use for teat dip? I will be able to get out there tomorrow night to check it out. Thanks Carolyn

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

how long has she been fresh?

6. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

She has been milking for a year and 2 weeks. DD1 is trying to dry her up, now DD1 is reallly worried. Carolyn

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

She probably did bruise her udder, I wouldn't dry her up now till all is cleared up. and Then when you do dry her up she may be a candidate for some tomorrow.

8. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Less blood this morning--no strings, clumps,clots. They will milk her 2x a day. Carolyn

9. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

The pink was completely gone in the milk yesterday---no lumps, bumps, strings, clots--the udder isn't hot and she has been acting normal, eating normal. Carolyn

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

bet it was just a injury Good to hear she has cleared up.

11. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Good to hear she is getting better.

Leslie