blood clots in milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, Mar 24, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

I have a Nubian 2 yo 2nd freshener that kidded on January 19 (the babies are now 9 weeks old). She had twin bucklings. I've been separating the babies at night and milking her in the mornings. She gives me almost a half gallon every morning (though I haven't milked her out completely - I always leave some for the babies). The boys are now getting pretty big (almost 40 pounds each).

This morning when I was milking, she passed about five small blood clots in the milk. She doesn't have any fever in her udder, and I haven't noticed blood settling into the bottom of the milk. Her udder is soft and doesn't show any sign (outwardly) of injury. I don't think it's mastitis. At least there's no obvious signs. I'm wondering if the babies could have injured her udder during nursing? I know all babies will bump the udder to encourage milk let-down, but they're pretty big boys and are pretty aggressive when they nurse. I've seen the two of them attack that udder and just about knock her off her feet. I wonder sometimes why she puts up with them :biggrin

Is the clots something I need to worry about? Oh, and at what age will she start weaning them? They'll likely be sold the third week of April, so after that, how rough they are won't be an issue, but I wonder if she'll start weaning them before then, since they're so rough on her.

Advice is appreciated.
    Kathy

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I bet that is what it is. Those big rough boys are bursting some capillaries in her udder. You can start weaning them off of her by keeping them penned up more often. Are they eating feed and hay?

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep if they are real rough I would wean them so they don't injure her if they are eating feed and hay and drinking water.

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Some will wean them and some just keep on going..sounds like blood capillairies to me too ...if they are so rough I would start weaning them and milk her twice a day and keep them separate so they will start eating more grain and hay.

5. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

They do eat hay (they have it free choice) and drink water, and I give them a little grain and alfalfa at night when I pen them up. They eat "at" it, but don't each much of it. How much should they be eating by now? The problem with keeping them penned up separately is that I really don't have a place outside for them to be by themselves. In the barn, I stall them separately at night, but when they're outside of the stall, all my goats run together (except for my buck, of course, and they're too little to be put in with him). I don't have any place penned off separately within their graze area. I guess it's about time for me to get them their own little shelter and a pen inside the fenced off area? One more job for the hubby to help with :) After wrestling my buck this weekend, I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear this... :crazy
    Thanks,
    Kathy

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

You can make a quick pen out of t posts and cattle panels and you can do it by yourself. I put up a square 16 x 16 pen in one afternoon. You can use a large dog house for their shelter.