Blond moment or OLD GOAT brain.

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Sondra, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK it has been quite awhile since I soaped anything and now a real blond moment I can't remember how to figure .7 of FO or EO or weigh it or what ever I am supposed to do. the last batch I made I couldn't remember either so had a 16 oz bottle and poured half of it into a 7lb batch.
    Now I have this Honey octain coming from Lil and don't want to screw it up.

2. lynpea

lynpea New Member

You have a scale right? .7 is 7/10's of an ounce. 8 oz in a 7# batch is a bit much and a waste of FO. I do .5 if the FO is a strong one. If you don't have a scale (how can you soap w/o one?), then generally it's 1 t. ppo.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Sondra,

If you are using your FO at a rate of .7 ppo and using the Wal-Mart recipe you multiply .7 x 7 pounds (the amount of butters/oils in the Wal-Mart recipe. You would use 4.9 ounces of FO.

Yes, 8 ounces is too much and could give you excess oil in your recipe.

Sorry, I haven't soaped the Honey yet but I've heard it's strong so I'd probably start with .5 ppo.

HTH,
    Sara

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Good rule of thumb for me Sondra is if using the 7 pound walmart recipe to use 5.3 ounces of scent with good scents...cheap scents 7 ounces and super strong scents and essential oils 4 ounces. Once soaped I then write down each scent so I know how to use it in the future. Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Thanks and yes I have a scale just couldn't remember so I probably didn't over do it too much on my 8oz with a FO