Bloated kid

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by DostThouHaveMilk, Mar 28, 2008.

1. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

I'm helping another farmer with a kid. Born yesterday/last evening (?).
    Born head only. She went out when she heard the doe. When she arrived this kid was out with just its head and still in the bubble. She called for hubby but before he got out the doe delivered the kid.
    So stress no doubt.
    The kid was laid out this morning and chilled. He's in their house being warmed up.
    I'm going to tube him with milk and BS. Give him some Antitoxin and some BoSe.
    Could anything else cause so much bloat in a newborn?
    They did see him nurse., but this is not milk, this is a lot of air in his tummy.

Thanks!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

make sure he is warmed up prior to tubing. but nope never had this happen in a new born so not much help just by putting the tube in may help if indeed it is gas.

3. mpete

mpete New Member

I'm new here but I just googled gas x (simethicone) for goats. I almost lost my dog last week to bloat, so I thought you may be able to give it to goats, and they say you can. I gave my dog 1 125 mg softgel every 4 to 6 hours as needed per vet instructions. My little dog weighs 12 lbs. You could call a local vet and see if they would ok you giving it to the kid?

4. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    We lost him.
    I tubed him and a little bit of gas came out but not much. It was just strange.
    He was checked around 3AM and was not bloated at all. Around 6AM he started crying and was checked. At 7AM he was bloated and laid out flat. They milked the mom, brought him in and started warming him up since his mouth was cold and offered him some milk. Then called me.
    He was just soo bloated. I just don't understand why that happened so fast.
    Any ideas bsides Floppy (and he was very floppy feeling). Can Floppy kid kick in so fast?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

usually floppy doesn't happen in kids that young.

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Could he have had an internal injury?

7. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

A friend of mine had this same thing happen to her little buck. Doe kidded without her but didn't attempt to clean kid. When friend got out to the barn baby still was covered in birth fluids. She cleaned kid off and he seemed to be fine but slow. The next day he was flat out, bloated and cold. She brought him in and proceeded to warm him up. Called the vet and he came out and gave dex, antibiotic. The buckling just kept going down and finally passed that evening. When he gave his final breath, alot of brownish/old blood looking, very foul smelling fluid came out of his mouth and nose. After all was said and done, the vet said the buckling probably aspirated some of the birth fluids into his lungs and just couldn't recover.

Vicki in NC

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Bloating is common when they are near death, as are neuro symptoms, paddling etc... Vicki

9. mpete

mpete New Member

how sad... I am sorry