Bleeding the day after disbudding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by backyard_farm, Mar 10, 2008.

1. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Yesterday I had four kids disbudded. The horn buds all looked fine and this morning they looked fine. We were gone for two to three hours today and when we got home I checked on the kids and noticed that one of them had the whole side of his face covered in thick, dried blood. It started at his horn bud and went all the way to his chin. I thought for sure he had been stomped by one of the does, as he looked really bad! I took him inside and cleaned him up and all I found was that the skin around the horn bud was tore a little. After I finished cleaning the horn bud, more skin came off . So there is a small area around the horn bud that is raw skin. There is also a bad smell. I didn't do anything else to the horn bud as I had no idea what to do, if anything. So do I leave it alone or is there something I should treat it with?
    I brought all of the kids in my house for the night, just in case one of the does did this. They are mean to each other's kids and sometimes they are mean to their own kids. Also, another kid has oozing and a bad smell around both of her horn buds. Is this normal and should I do anything to her's?
    Thanks for any help :D
    Belinda

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I had a buck kid do this a couple of years ago, I scubbed it clean with clean soap and water and then mixed penicllin and peroxide together and cleaned it with that.. Did this for three or four days and it healed beautiful.. the bad smell is likely infection.. Do not put salves or anything that will keep it moist on it.. YOu want it to heal up and dry up... the kids could have been playing and they head butt all the time..Trim all the hair around his head so you can see what you are dealing with...
    Barbara

3. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thank you :D Barbara, I will do this.

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Bad smell could just be from burnt hair. Mine stink for a couple days afterwards. If the bud looks dry and isn't swollen, no fever on the kid, I wouldn't expect infection.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

spray with furall will also help
    but I reburn too

6. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Sondra, I sprayed with furral yesterday. Today the buckling's buds look ok, but the doeling still has oozing. Though it is amber colored today instead of white. It still smells too. It is not a burnt hair smell either. Can I still reburn after spraying with furral? I didn't do the disbudding myself, but I watched the lady that did it and I think I can do the reburning if I need to. I have a Rhinehart X-30 iron, which is 200 watts. How long would I leave it on the areas that need to be burned? Do I only burn the raw areas? The lady that did the disbudding had a homemade iron that must have had a lower watt than what I have and she left it on quite a while.
    Thanks again for the help,
    Belinda

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

don't know as I am right on this but yes I do or have reburned. I just count to 8 on thier head after you know your iron is hot. if I don't get copper then I do it again. I also keep an icepack to lay on their head between burns to cool them down.

8. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I had some I didn't disbud til they were 19 days old last year and they had some oozing and bleeding but not til a couple of weeks later when the scabby things came off. it really bothered me to see it and i worried. i used furall on them and sprayed them day after day. They all healed just fine and have wonderful smooth round heads now. I have a rhinehart X40 which does a great job. it burns a copper ring very quickly and I never get scurs. I do wait between horn buds though and let it heat up well. I am pretty aggressive with disbudding and just do it and don't ever have to reburn.

9. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thanks Sondra and Diane :D I was a little worried. This evening the doeling and buckling's horn buds have stopped oozing and are crusted with what looks like dried maple syrup. Should I still burn again or just keep spraying with furral? I sprayed again this evening.
    Thanks again.
    Belinda

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would now just use the fural.

11. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thanks again Sondra :D You have been very helpful!
    Belinda