Bleeding at time of disbudding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jimandpj, Apr 12, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Today we disbudded 4 alpine kids that are 8 days old. One of the doelings started bleeding where she was disbudded within minutes of being disbudded. Anybody ever have this happen? We've disbudded half a dozen kids before today, and none of them have ever bled immediately following disbudding. I thought it was supposed to cauterize the site? We've put blood stop powder on it twice already. It's a fairly good amount of bleeding - any other thoughts? I don't have any furall.

Thanks,
    PJ

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would make sure your iron is good and hot and redo. Is this the last kid disbudded? maybe the iron wasn't hot enough in between kids.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

My thoughts exactly..

4. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

It was definitely hot enough. We always give it 10 minutes between kids and test on a piece of wood.

On closer inspection - the bleeding is coming from just outside the copper ring. As if she hit her head on something after she was disbudded. We've tried pressure - she just struggles and gets all upset which makes the bleeding worse. She's got gobs of blood stop powder on it.

Jim held her for half an hour and got her completely calm. The bleeding stopped. But then she decided she wanted up and it started again. It's like a head wound that just wants to bleed a lot.

If I disbudded again - it wouldn't be on the spot that is bleeding.

I don't want to cauterize a head wound outside of the copper ring, do I????

Also - she is grinding her teeth, presumably from the pain. I don't have any banamine. She doesn't want a bottle (she just drank one after being disbudded at 3:00. Anything I can do for the pain other than banamine?

PJ

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yes you can cauterize where the bleeding is and it should stop it, also did she get her tetnus? also baby asprin seems to help some when you dont have and banamine. I try to make sure I have some when I disbud, just in case and the antitoxin too.just what I would do to stop it instead of the powder.

6. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I would cauterize also. You can just wipe off the area so you can see where the blood is coming from and burn just that spot. It will stop the bleeding alot better then the blood stop powder.
    Theresa

7. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

ok - thanks everyone - the bleeding has stopped. That was kinda scary. I've never been bothered by the disbudding, but blood dripping down the kid's face was a new one - and very unwelcome.

She did get 1/2 cc of tetanus antitoxin before the disbudding. I'm assuming there is no need to give her any extra. She weighs about 9 1/2 lbs.

Right now she is sleeping with her sister. If she wakes up and starts grinding her teeth again I'll try the baby aspirin.

Thanks!
    PJ

8. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I had a Boer kid do this cauterizing just made it worse I think it must have had a big blood vessel there.
    And blood stop powder did the trick.
    I heard that you can use a drop of epinephrine to stop bleeding but have not try it yet.
    Fran

9. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

What we ended up doing was getting her sister and putting them both in a bin in the closet where it was nice and dark. A two hour nap and the blood stop powder finally allowed it to clot. We'll see what happens when she knocks the clot off!
    PJ