Bleach

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatershubby, Aug 26, 2008.

  1. goatershubby

    goatershubby Guest

    18
    0
    0
    Got an interesting email from Jeffers asking the question "Do you use bleach?" The product they are touting is shown at http://jefferspet.com/ssc/IMAGES/20...=ntarget-_-KenllanEmail-_-TxtLink-_-EmailLink
    (wow, don't know how well that will work)

    The email says that bleach is dangerous to you and your furry friends, especially when combined with ammonia (including urine) it creates a dangerous toxic gas. Incidentally, that is why you should not use "ULTRA" types of detergent with bleach. They go on to point out that bleach is corrosive and will damage shears, clippers, and other types of equipment.

    This is why we have almost completely stopped using bleach. We have tried food grade Hydrogen Peroxide, but that seemed to dry the girls teats (even with glycerin). We're back to Iodine and glycerin for our teat dip.

    Just wondering what everyone else thinks about bleach.

    (I also hated the smell of bleach on my hands all day, I couldn't get rid of it.)
     
  2. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    Sorry I use bleach Clorox only and will continue to do so as I don't mix it with ammonia nor urine. Has worked well for me all these years and am not going to change the wheel. plus I hate iodine for anything other than umbilical cords
    But that is just me :)
     

  3. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    Diluted correctly at 1/4 cup per gallon of water, I can't smell bleach, it doesn't 'bleach' my barn clothes and keeps the mold out of my milk lines...about all I use it for.

    But it is correct, bleach does not disenfect a dirty surface, you have to wash the milk out of your lines with soapy water to disenfect with bleach. Using any amount of bleach on dirty barn walls will not kill anything and yes mixed with the ammonia from urine you can fry your lungs.

    But I am also not a fan of the fumes of iodine or the stains on my clothes or cement...so when I can't use bleach I use chlorhexideen (goats) or Vicron (cement, wood etc). vicki
     
  4. new2goats

    new2goats Guest

    36
    0
    0
    That product that Jeffers is offering seems VERY similar to Odoban. I buy Odoban at Sam's club in the gallon jugs and use it everywhere in the house...haven't really found a surface I can't use it on (cloth, flooring, walls, leather couch ect. ect) Wonder if the two products are similar? Could people use a product like that in place of bleach for a teat dip or would some of those ingredients be harmful to use ON animals?
     
  5. Rose

    Rose New Member

    1,004
    0
    0
  6. Haglerfarm

    Haglerfarm New Member

    216
    0
    0
    Where do you get food grade Hydrogen Peroxide?
     
  7. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    even the HP at drug stores you can drink
     
  8. goatershubby

    goatershubby Guest

    18
    0
    0
    We get our Hydrogen Peroxide from Guardian of Eden www.dfwx.com/h2o2products.html It is 35% which we dilute to about 3%

    The interesting thing I noticed about the product from Jeffers is that it is didectl dimethl Ammonium Chloride and dimethyl benzyl amonium chloride, which appears to be very similar to "Quats" or quaternary ammonia. It also sounds like what you would get when you mix chlorine bleach and ammonia. Now I know why I got a D in chemistry!

    Vicki and Sondra, do you mix glycerin with your bleach water for teat dipping?
     
  9. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
  10. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    I have before, I use it for one of my body products. I didn't feel it did anything, it's like the glycerin not the bleach adhered to the teat.

    Biggy for me has always been to do something consistantly. To always use products I could afford even in lean times, and to not ship in products I would run out of. To always let the girls finish their grain on the milkstand so from inflations off until they leave the milkstand is 5 mintues, this allows the orifice time to close. In the mornings it's no big deal they are itching to get out and browse or hit the hay in the feeder, keeping them standing...but at night it's hitting the barn which is raked dirt, manure and spent shavings....not healthy for an open orifice. Vicki