bland mozarella

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Tim Pruitt, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I made the "microwave" mozarella and it turned out well. I compared it with some "string" cheese that we had on hand - mostly for the grandchildren's enjoyment.
    I found that my mozeralla was bland in comparison though to the storebought. The storebought had more of a fuller, cheesier flavor in comparison. Also my mozarella was a bit more chewey than the storebought variety. I think I might know how to solve that but how can I get my mozarella not to be so bland tasting - it is almost tasteless in comparison.

The storebought is just plain, unflavored mozarella cheese.

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Tim,

Try Christy's recipe (in the Cheese Recipe sticky). It is the BEST!

Sara

3. coso

coso Guest

Tim, Did you add lipase to it. We make the microwave kind and I like lipase in it because it gives it more flavor. However my wife likes it plain, so that's the way it usually gets made. :/ :lol

4. chewie

chewie New Member

i currently have the mild lipase, and when i use it, DH says it "very good this time." when i don't, he says nothing or its "ok". i wonder tho, we like it, has anyone used a stronger flavored lipase? is there such stuff? or is a little of a good thing the best way? thanks.

5. coso

coso Guest

There are different kinds of lipase mild, sharp, very sharp etc.. We have the mild. I would like to try some of the sharp though. ;)

6. Rose

Rose New Member

I made moz two days ago that has no flavor at all. I'm adding lipase next time.

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I don't like it without Lipase either. I have the mild and the sharp but I haven't tried the sharp yet.

Mozz is really good marinated. Use olive oil half and half with a light oil, add garlic, sundried tomatoes, capers, basil and salt. YUMMY!!

Christy

8. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

No I didn't use lipase - I will order some for next time. Although OK - it is just too tasteless. And no, I didn't use Christy's recipe - I used Rikki's off of New England Cheese website. Will try Christy's next time though - thanks for the tip.

9. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

How long does lipase powder last? I have some that I haven't used thats about a year old and wondering if its still good.

ray

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

would FD work in place of lipase?

11. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

If you store lipase in the refrigerator it will last over a year.

Lipase is an enzyme and FD is a culture so even though they both add flavor they don't taste the same.

Christy