bladder infection?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by rrziga, Feb 22, 2008.

1. rrziga

rrziga New Member

I have a doe that is three years old. Noticed that she had blood on her tail. She has been squatting and straining to pee, and when she does it is red. Called the vet and told him this and he said it could be a bladder infection and that the treatment would be to make sure she gets plenty of water. I am unable to transport her to be seen because of the condition of my driveway. I was wondering if there is anything else I can do for her? It has been three days and I am concerned she is going to dehydrate. She is still up and eating and drinking, but I still worry. I think also that she is breed up due in March. :help

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Could she have been butted by another goat? You could try getting a bag of the feed through antibiotic crumbles from Tractor Supply or the feed store and give that to her until she kids. Be sure to clean, scrub out the water buckets on a weekly basis and keep fresh clean water out for her. Also does she have loose minerals out to eat? You can get some loose cattle minerals from the feed store and put out for her to eat and the salt in it will help her drink more water.

3. rrziga

rrziga New Member

Thanks for your info. I do have loose minerals out for her and also the salt block, we have a heated water bucket but some times the goats knock the plug loose. We have been more observant when the water bucket is unplugged. I pray that her diagnosis is correct. I was curious about how long before I see any improvement?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Give her some Vit C like 1500 miligrams a couple times a day. will help with infection an also make her pee more I would also give her some fortified b complex. Make sure she is drinking even if you have to separate her so you know how much ?? keep in mind does can get UC also so hope your feeding a balanced ratio of Calcium to phos. Not sure why you have a salt block out if you have a good loose mineral that contains salt.

5. rrziga

rrziga New Member

I was wondering if I can use vitamin C for humans or is there a special kind for animals? I am assuming the the B complex is the kind you have to get from the vet, is that correct? I am really new at raising goats. I am so glad that I am able to get good solid information from experienced people like you. Thanks

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes I used people Vit C and either powdered from heath food store mixed with water and syringed into them or my goats will eat th 500 ml like candy but many wont so people get the flavored ones for kids.
    Fortified B Complex you can get anywhere farm store /TSC etc.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Are you positive it is fresh blood in the urine? Is the urine rusty looking? Do you feed beet pulp? Wipe her vulva and butt off and then insert a finger into the vagina, is the blood actually coming from the vagina or from the urine?

She would have a temp, not high but higher than her herd mates if it was a UTI, she would be squatting constantly and squatting lower than normal. If it's from her vagina it could be from a simple hemorid at the cervic, to placenta previa where the placenta is attached to the cervic and rips and tears as she softens her cervic. All of which there isn't anything to do.

When does become sluggish and large towards the end of pregnancy their urine is much more concentrated than when normal. Beet pulps and other plants concentrated in the urine can show red rusty pee.

Now true drips of blood, that is a problem. Vicki

Vicki

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UM there is also a weed that will show up as reddish urine but can't remember what it is.

9. rrziga

rrziga New Member

I am feeding hay and alfalfa pellets right now. We have had such a cold miserable winter. I have given her the vitamin C and I have ordered the fortified B Complex. I will try and get some tommorrow when I have the 4x4 to get out of the driveway(sheet of ice with snow on top). I have separated her and will be watching her water intake. If I notice she is not drinking should I try and make her drink? And if I need to make her drink how would I go about that?

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

well first give her warm water , add some kool aid if that don't work and if nothing works then you need to get lactated ringers to give her. but if she is peeing good I'll bet she is drinking.

11. rrziga

rrziga New Member

Thanks I will try that. She is still eating but haven't seen her drink. I really don't want her to get dehydrated.

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Normally, if a goat is eating, she is drinking as well, My vet says sick goats will stop eating before they stop drinking. I've found that to be true in my herd.
    Kathie

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

is their no any antibiotics that need to be given to critters for UTI's? when I get one I'm always put on antibiotics but I have problems with my kidneys that may be why... hmmmm, maybe I should ask my doctor. sorry, getting off track. so no cranberry juice for the goats huh?

-Melissa

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

cranberry juice won't hurt them, whether it will help is another question. I would do as Vicki suggested and find out just what is going on.

15. rrziga

rrziga New Member

Well I saw her pee and poop this morning. No more red in the urine, and I saw her drink. :D Will still be watching her closely. She is my sweetest doe, and I worry about her! Should I continue giving her vitamin C? They didn't have fortified B complex at my TSC, but I did order some on line. I know from reading the forum that this is very important to have on hand.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would give the Vit C for a couple days. then stop and by the way I always use Vit C for sniffles and benedryl before using antibiotics. usually nips it in the bud

17. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yes, there is. I give Penn-G at the rate of 6.6cc/100#, twice a day for 5 days.
    LOL...everytime it's happened to me...they Rx Penn V 250mg. One tablet twice a day.
    I've had it happen a couple of times in does that went to shows and refused to drink. :sigh
    Kaye

18. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Could it have been a stone? One of our does had blood in the urine. We took a sample to the vet and there wasn't an infection. Turned out she had passed a stone. Had blood in the urine for a few days.
    Nancy

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

possible and also possible it is or was urinary trac infection