Birthing bucket

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am very new to kidding and soon, (late Feb.) we will be kidding our first kids. I am wondering if someone would be so kind as to send me a list of what things I should have in my birthing bucket? Also, a list of needed shots for both does and kids would be greatly appreciated. We're trying to raise as organically as possible, and also as drug-free as possible, but I do not want to compromise the health of my kids by leaving out important stuff. Also, I live in Central Virginia. Two of my does are pure, but unregistered. Another of my does is registered and out of the Dixie Does herd here in Va. Thanks so much.

Anita
    www.shantaranaturalhoofcare.com

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:crazy Thanks MOM.....One cup of coffee here just ain't enough. I was digging, as I knew V. had stickied it somewhere. :duh Right in front of my eyes.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:biggrin out to Whim
    Welcome to the forum Anita
    Also in Goat 101 is an Article by Sue Reith Good meds to have on hand. and you should read up on her article abt Ketosis and Hypocacimia

These are things nice to have on hand:
    *Nasal aspirator I don't use this
    *Piglet puller, from Nasco or this
    *OB lube
    *Towels
    *7% Iodine
    *(2) plastic trash bags
    *Unwaxed dental floss
    *Wormer
    Bentadine Solution
    BioMycin
    Suture scissors (the end is like a hemostat, with cutting blade further down)
    (2) 35cc syringes
    (3) 60cc syringes
    3cc syringes with needles
    1cc syringes with needles
    Waterproof tape
    Heating pad
    Scale

CMPK injectable (from the vet) and CMPK liqiud
    BoSe(from the vet)
    Dopram (from the vet)
    Lutalyse (from the vet)
    Sterile water (from the vet)
    Banamine (from the vet)
    Oxytocin (from the vet)
    Dexamethazone (from the vet)

5. Anita, welcome and glad you found the forum.
    Anita has three of our babies from last year:)
    For kidding supplies:
    baby monitor is wonderful
    lots of old towels ina rubbermaid box to stay clean.
    Alos have in the box: cord clamps or clean strips of rag or string to tie off bleeding cords
    iodine and a clean small jar to dunk cords and hooves
    KY jelly or other lubricant
    some clean folded feed bags are nice.
    Let the doe push the kids onto clean feed bags or old towels spread behind her. Dry the kids with towels, wrap them up, stick them right on your kidding box while you help deliver the next kid.
    If the cord keeps bleeding tie it off, otherwise dunk the cords in iodine (we do the hooves too).

It's good to have calcium, lutelyse, and banamine on hand jsut in case.
    Kids will need BoSe after birth.
    Alos for kid care have bottles and nipples, a weak kid syringe, kid collars, and kid coats are nice too.
    Dopram is nice (it stimulates respiration in weak kids but we've only used it twice over 13 kidding seasons)

If you want to come assist with a kidding here let me know, I can put you on call:)
    Becky