biotracking question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sunny Daze, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I finally drew blood on the whole herd (and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be)! I want to CAE test all of them and there is a handful I also want to pregnancy test. I want to get the blood sent off today, but not sure which forms need to be filled out. On the biopryn form there is a box for added test, but the majority won't be preg. tested. Then there is another form for only CAE testing. I would call but they are several hours behind there. Was hoping someone on here would know. Also wondering if I need to send it with an ice pack? Thanks!!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

http://www.biotracking.com/documents/Example goat.pdf

this is the one I used and where is says days bred I put 0 then it says how many pg tests @7.50 and cae @ 4
    I sent it with a ice pack and also it took a week to get there using USPS priority mail. So send it UPS if you can tho they told me that the blood is good for a month when I called.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You don't need an ice pack.

Just specify on the form which ones should be pregnancy checked. State that all are to be CAE tested by writing CAE only and one the ones you want pregnancy tested include the days bred. If you are concerned follow up with a phone call once it's mailed.

Sara

4. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

5. And they run PG tests on Wed, CAE on Fri. Just thought you might want to know that. Tammy

6. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I have another Biotrack question. Do you have to buy their starter kit for $15.50 or can I buy blood tubes at my feed store and use the forms off the website?

Tiffany

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Don't buy the kit. Get red top tubes from your vet or farm store and print the forms off the website.

Sara

8. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

ok, thanks!
    Tiffany

9. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Sent it off, it will get there on monday (it would have been $70 shipping to get it there by the end of the week!). I ordered the blood collection tubes as they don't carry them in any stores around here and printed out all the forms...

10. When we were looking at shipping, it was going to be over $100 to overnight it. Another 2 day rush was around $80 and flat rate (which gets it there in two days) was less than $10. :really We sent it packed with an ice pack because it was the end of July and there was the risk it would not get their until Monday. There were close to 100 blood samples in that box. I really didn't want to have to redraw all of them. lol
    We sent it flat rate from Ohio on a Wednesday. It got there on Friday. I had the preg results for the cows on Friday, the CAE results on Saturday and the BVD results for the cows on Monday (when they test).
    I'm repulling on some goats, adding another one or two in, and we are preg/BVD checking another group of cows. I'll be sending our next Wednesday.
    I order our blood collection supplies from PBS. It's great because it arrives in one day for us here in Ohio.
    I also learned something about the forms. If you only want BVD testing, don't use the Preg test form! They preg checked some cows that had been bred but were still in the first 90 days post breeding, so it was a waste of money. We had not wanted them preg tested.
    I would assume it is similar with the goats. I would e-mail them in advance if you used the form that was suggested. You could be looking at a costly bill, unless you managed to make it perfectly clear you didn't want them all preg checked as well.
    Thankfully, we only had three cows they preg checked that we hadn't planned on.

11. cindy

cindy Member

Can we send in samples for just CAE testing, or will they only do that in conjunction with preg testing?

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Welcome Cindy. :)

You can send in samples for just CAE testing.

Sara