Biotracking Pull date on does - 28 days

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tracy in Idaho, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I just got off the phone with Chuck Passavant of Biotracking -- he is planning on changing the Website to show that goat pregnancy samples should be pulled at 28 days rather than the 26 days they have now. He said too many may come back as open/repeats at that stage, and that a few days should give a better reading -- particularly in the miniature/pygmy does.

Tracy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Have a good friend who had BioTracking preg. check her does. One doe was 33 days bred, and Chuck said that she was not bred. He told her to Lutalyse the doe, because she had not cycled anymore. I told her not to Lute her until she was sonogramed. So, she took several of her does to the sonogram party yesterday, and she took this doe to be checked. John Edwards says she is carrying twins. :/ Guess nothing is foolproof.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If it were me...I'd contact Chuck and see about sending in anothe blood sample. Just out of curiosity. And knowing Chuck, he'd want to know also.

Ahhhh...I see it now, Blood test vs Sonogram.
    Kaye

5. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Kaye,
    I think that's what she is planning to do. The doe was 33 days bred on blood draw, and is 6 weeks bred now. I have a few that I want to draw blood on, but I'm going to wait until they are at least 45 days.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I'ld think Blood test would be way more accurate then sonogram, % of errors and all. We hear the same old horror stories every year, "my vet said she was open and to lute her, she had triplet does in there." How about Hold the lute, and retest in two weeks for either method.

7. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Quick question here, what size needles do you guys use to do blood draws?

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Good idea, Janie.

I use 18 ga vacutainer needles, as I don't use the syringes. BUT,you can draw with 20 ga., 18 ga, some have even pulled with the 22ga.(but it takes a lot longer with the smaller ga.)

IF I were going to pull with the syringes...I'd probably use a 20x1". You can put more pull on a syringe than the vacutainer blood tubes have in them.
    Kaye

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If this is in fact true, it would be the first error I have heard. Not that there can't be errors, but it would have to be human errors, the blood test is very straight forward.

I also would not want to have to believe only ultrasound. Vicki

10. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

We've had some guys come through to do sonograms for our goat club, that were VERY inaccurate with sonograms. And I hate it when they tell people that their does are open, advise a dose of Lute to get them bred, then they go out and find does aborting pregnancies. But John Edwards is the best of the best, he's usually on the money with how many kids, and he tells you how many days bred they are, and can tell you within a few days of what you have down as the breeding date. He does A.I., E.T. sonograms, and everything else involved with goat reproduction. He's hard to get ahold of because he stays so busy, but when he does come, there's usually a huge turnout, because he is good. He and his wife Jackie own and operate Erath General Genetics and the famous EGGS Boer goat herd. Plus, they judge Boer goat shows. He's probably the only guy that I would let sonogram my goats and could "take it to the bank". The first time that I got to visit with him at length was at the AGS National Show when it was in Denton, many years ago. He was doing free sonograms for the exhibitors, and he shared so much valuable information while he worked.
    As for me, I normally don't sonogram or blood test, unless I suspect a problem - been in this long enough to tell soon enough, if the girls are bred or not.
    I'm not knocking BioTracking - human errors do occur with any procedures, and glad to have them as a second method in determining pregnancy.

11. susie

susie New Member

I used Biotracking on my cows a couple years ago- sent in blood from two cows, one just at the date to draw blood, the other had been bred earlier. The earlier cow came back at ? maybe pregnant they suggested i redraw, they thought i was wrong on my dates. They had been ai'd so I was positive on them. I saw no signs of heat so didn't redraw, this is the cow that ate too many avocadoes and almost died and was given a dex shot , had a beutifil heifer calf right on schedule.
    oh and the other cow's test came back as bred and she was.
    Just my experience- I never really heard why her test would be questionable.

susie

12. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

We have a qualified scanner do ours (goats/sheep) she is quite good-she ultrasounds just in front of the udder at around 45 days breed-she counts foetal numbers too, I've never had her wrong about an empty animal but she quite often gets the foetal numbers wrong, one scanned with twins had quads for example. I’d love to use Biotracking but we don’t have the sheep/goat test available in Aus and if we did it would be around $14 per animal.
    Vanessa

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

We used to have a guy from A&M do the ultra sounds I had done was $7 ea and boy could he nail it down to how many and how far along the does were.