Bio-mycin and pregnant does

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Oct 9, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Hi all, I was given Vet orders yesterday for a doe with SubC Mastitis....Pirsue daily for 3 days, 4cc Bio-mycin for 3 days and Quarternaster at dry up. I was concerned as my doe was bred 9-6 and have read not to give bio-mycin to pregnant does as it may cause bone/teeth malformation. The vet says that it is safe! Of course, I read about it being unsafe after giving the first dose yesterday...... :sigh :help

Have a really messed up? What should I do?

Thanks,

Paula

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Oxytetracycline, Tetracycline, etc...is perfectly safe for ruminents. It can cause problems with cats/dogs/humans.

Was given the same WRONG advice and dug deeper on it.
    Kaye

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Kaye, Thanks so much!

Paula

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You also have no idea if you even have sub clinical mastitis or not. CMT only tells you that your does are in late lactation and that can also signal a rise. Your lop sided udders can totally be mechanical if your setup is incorrect. Send in a milk sample before you start drugging your does when early pregnant. And tetracycline is not the drug of choice for subclinical mastitis, you might have it as one of the choices on a sensitivity, but it isn't going to work. Does Tetracycline go into the mammary tissue? Will it give you a functioning udder when you are done if all you care about is the udder and not the milk someone is leading you down the wrong path.

Find out for yourself what you are dealing with, ask for a sensitivty which cost a little more IF it is more than subclinical staph, and then bring it to the list. Vicki

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Will do...Thanks Vicki!