Best type of flooring for kidding area

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Agape Oaks, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Hi Y'all
    I'm staying in my same house....for awhile anyways (oldest daughter is moving nearer so I don't wnat to move farther). I need to change some things around before I have 23 does freshen this spring (what was I thinking??!!). I have a nice sturdy shelter that was used for the steer we raised last year. I plan to run electricity to it & am considering pouring a concrete floor for ease of cleaning. Would that be better or is a dirt floor a better choice? A friend suggested rubber mats....any suggestions?

I also plan to pour concrete, build a car port type thing with hot water & electricity to milk in. The hoop house works nicely for milking by hand but with 23, I think I'll want to use my machine :).

2. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

I personally like a floor that drains. I have used rubber mats and it just holds all the pee right there. Dirt for me. I have a good thick layer of sand in my kid pen that seems to help keep it fairly dry but I put lots of straw down on top of the sand. My doe pen has a piece of wire fabric from my DH work. It is somewhat like landscaping cloth but much more durable. Lets the urine through but it makes it easier to get the straw out at cleaning time. DH wants to poor concrete but I don't want it. If I could start over I would dig a nice big pit and fill it with gravel. Here in the NW you have to have straw for the warmth. Shannon

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I love the rubber matts from TSC and rice hulls makes for easy cleaning. and if need be can be taken out and cleaned really good. Tho they are heavy to move around much.

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Concrete can be a 2 edged sword.......it is a lot easier to keep clean, and gives you a level place to do your work on. The biggest drawback that I've seen is where folks keep their animals on the concrete full time. Concrete is really tough on bone joints, ect. , and I've seen dog kennels where all the dogs looked to have severe cases of arthritis.
    I think for just a working area, or a temperary kidded area, or daily feeding area, that a concrete floor would be just fine.....I just wouldn't want them on it 24 hrs a day, and for more than just a few days at a time.

5. Josie

Josie New Member

Although I like the dirt floor as it's warmer then the concrete and as Whim pointed out easier on the joints, personally I have concrete floors on kidding and isolation pens.

For me its just I can keep it so much cleaner and those are two areas I worry about the most. I can take the pens apart and powerwash everything down, bleach it, so on and so forth.

I do worry about the cold with early kidding and try to bed deeply, but since I'm alergic to straw I have to use as little as possible.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah I want concrete for my part of the barn and all the alleyways but not the goats part. Good sand, then cover it with whatever is local, is cheap and you will clean out. If you are of the wheelbarrow set than don't use heavy hay, use shavings etc...if you are of the bobcat set, than it makes little difference what you use, just scrape it out.

Ric is clean, he has a spotless barn and you should see how much work keeping cement clean really is, no thank you.

I am using shavings over the sand and then straw right before they kid. I will pull the dirty parts of the straw as the does kid. For me it isn't like kidding is nasty as far as the barn, all the poop and pee is more...because I really clean up behind each doe, and if you are kidding in the middle of the day and it's pretty out, well you get your butt lead out into the pretty grass to deliver kids! My dog also keeps the area really clean, and I dispose of placenta immediatly. Vicki

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

OK...I think I'll put a thick layer of sand in the new freshening area & will just do the concrete in the new milk area. I don't plan on keeping anyone in the freshening area long term....I have a nice pen for them to stay in, but they have dog houses or 4 ft tall fiberglass shelters as shelters & invariably my goats chose to freshen when it's cold & raining. I HATE sitting out in it under a tarp. This area is one the steer was in last year (took him to be processed in Sept). It's a wood frame with metal siding & a dirt floor. Are there any sort of nasty germs the steer could have that I need to worry about?

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

wouldn't think so just clean it and ag lime or DE then add your bedding.

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

What is DE? I was thinking of getting a truckload of sand & then topping it with shavings.

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Oh gosh,,,that stands for demascus earth , or something like that,.....no , that don't sound right.......one of these gals will come in and tell you.

Hey , now that you've got a serious answer to your original ??'s.....I was gonna tell you that the sand thing just don't work well with nubi's....we tried sand with the nubi's at my brothers house, and the durn cats kept trying to cover them up every time they laid down.
    Think you'll be fine with the ND's & LM's . :biggrin

Merry Christmas, Whim.

11. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I guess that's a good reason not to get a cat :)

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Well Pam, I can't hardly believe with all the Nubi breeders on here, that they are gonna let me get away with that one. Geez, now I've got to sleep with one eye open tonight.

13. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

That's diatomecious earth and not the kind you use in your pool filter. Oh heck I can't spell it either, but it has a T in it. :twisted

I would think the dirt floor with shavings on top would be fine unless they are kidding, then put the straw on top. I know with the horse breeders they use the straw, cause the shavings can be sucked back inside the mare when she is foaling, and cause lot's of problems. I would think the same with goats could happen.

Sheryl

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Good thing you live so far away.. :laughcry That's why I prefer snakes over cats..!

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Pam try some of the rice hulls they are just great and yes your sand over the top and then the bedding would work. I said the DE just because it gets rid of bug/etc. and won't hurt the goats. also helps with fire ants. you can get it at the feed store usually.

16. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

OK- will be hitting the feed store this weekend & will get DE, then sand, then will put rice hulls & straw on top as we get nearer to them freshening. My 1st ones are due in Feb & I want to have everything ready so I don't have to sit out in the cold & rain under a tarp :)

17. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Well, I've seen cow diary studies on both sand and fine sawdust as bedding and both seem to contribute to environmental mastitis. Makes me lean away from those, plus both are kind of hard for us to handle.

Dirt is way better than concrete. It's warmer and far easier on the goats legs. We use either long straw to cover the dirt floor or just shavings. Lately, I've been going with the shavings. It's a lot easier to clean out. A gentle disinfectant for a dirt floor is ag lime. Just cover the floor with it then add the shavings. My vet seems to think it decreases the amount of navel ill.

DE can be used on the barn too and if you have lice, then it may help with that too but it does increase the amount of dust in the bedding and barn, so beware.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just sand would possibly contribute to problems but with bedding over top especially knowing Pam personally it will be thick should be a problem at all, especially since our soil here is mostly sand anyway. :)

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Pam i haven't used the rice hulls out on the ground have only used them inside on wood floors and in the kennels but really like them.

20. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

This is for an shelter that will strictly be used as a kidding area. Once they've freshened they'll move to another pen. I figured the sand would help it drain better, but it will be covered with bedding.....maybe rice hulls or wood shavings with straw on top. It was previously a shelter for a steer so when I remove whats in there now, I need to replace it with something.....which since people said concrete isn't best, I'll do sand.