Best time to start showing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo@LaudoDeumFarm, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Well, when is the best time to start showing with your human kids? My oldest is going to be 7 this summer, and she's mentioned shows off and on. We always see at least two shows a year. When can you tell if a child is ready for that?

We do not belong to 4-H. I know there are groups around but it's been difficult to find them. I thought maybe an open show? Do the animals have to be registered with adga (ours are all reg with ags.)

Any ideas would be appreciated. :D

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My oldest started at 8 showing her own goats. My middle daughter dragged goats around the ring when she was almost 5, but didn't own her own goat to show until she was 8. Although we did 4H, ADGA shows are open Youth around us, so open to any child in Texas be it 4H, FFA or not. We used to hit county shows with dairy goats, but being unsanctioned shows they were fun shows to just go win belt buckles at...etc. and most of the time they were judged by beef cattle judges....we always did well with our 'big' girls :)

I really pushed showmanship on my kids, you couldn't show at the show unless you also did showmanship. Everything in showing is about presenting your animals at their best, which means way before you even go to the show, to what you look like and what you know and how you move your goats around. In small shows a judge may have time to really look at a goat and feel of her and help a young child....most judges have the top goats picked as they make the first circle around the ring. So having very young kids showing goats is really chancy in large rings, with a goats head down, it doesn't show them to their potential.

I think showing builds confidence in kids, and it also teaches them real life lessons! Vicki

3. leslieh

leslieh New Member

I second what Vicki said. My daughter started showing at 5 yrs old. Of course her attention span wasn't the longest. Especially in a large class! ;)

But the kids learn so much. Basically it is like a "speech" class. You must get up in front of a crowd, you must know your subject, how to present it and to discuss it with the judge while keeping your pose and calm even if your doe is throwing a fit! It also teaches the kids to win gracefully and to lose gracefully. Your best friend got the blue while you were bottom of the barrel and you have to be nice about it. And turn around, you can't gloat when you are in the front of the line.

She can show in the open shows. If it is like the shows here, the people will help her. Do you have a county or district fair? This would be a good place for her to learn showing. Here we would contact our county extension office to find out. Might try that out.

Let her dive in. Best way to learn is to do!

Leslie

4. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Goat shows are so laid back compared to dog shows. My son started showing when he was I think 9 or maybe 10 & has had all positive experiences. People have always been very helpful in giving him pointers.....of course you need to be aware that it is an addictive hobby :). National goat shows are what my son wnats to do for vacation every year now- last summer we drove from TX to VA for the AGS nationals.

There are no active 4-H groups in our area either. You can show in the ADGA shows with your AGS papers. Many judges will sign the AGS win form for you....of course if they don't your win doesn't count with AGS. My goats are all dual registered & that's easy to do - just fill out an application & send it with your papers to ADGA.

5. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

So it sounds like we could try an open show? I know some friends of ours showed up in Mora, MN at an adga sanctioned show they have there every year and they spoke very highly of it. They said it was much better than the county fair they attended. What is the difference between open shows and county fairs?
    Where can I learn more about shows and show rules and things like that?

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And open show sanctioned by ADGA means anyone any age can show any goat any age that is registered with ADGA or AGS. Join your district list on yahoo, most shows near your area will be listedo n there. Do you belong to a local club? That is another really good way of finding out what is going on in your show circuit. If someone on the forum is in your area they will post upcoming shows (hopefully) in the sticky "shows".

County shows are usully not sanctioned, so you get whatever judge they can find...I have judged many county diary shows when my daughters were to old to show. With no rules for regsitry you get horned and some really awful goats there :) I had to bite my tongue and simply not say anything...but did stand and answer thousands of questions afterwards about management.

Shows are fun. Vicki

7. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Well we belong to a pet goat club, not too many folks show in it. Thanks for your responses. I appreciated hearing the encouragement. We will probably keep thinking about joining 4-h for a little while. I want to make sure my dd is really ready for it.

Today (despite the -16 temp) we got to the MN dairy goat conference and it was very nice. One of the consindine's had two presentations about adga and what programs and services they offer. Wow, I can't believe the amount of information that they collect and have. That's so cool.

Anyhow, now I'm thinking about joining adga. I'm interested in the LA and can really see how it can help when it comes to making those decisions about who to keep and who to sell. I guess choosing which program you would participate in would depend on what the goals for your herd are, huh?

Once, long ago, my goals for my herd was simply to have healthy animals, who I could milk. Now it seems that we do have healthy animals and I met that goal. Now what? I guess the next step is to start trying to breed a better goat. :D

8. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Our dc want to start showing while they are still in diapers! So they show in peewee showmanship. the youngers do NOT get to show the goats that we really hope to do well at the shows, but most of the little children have been given (or won in raffle) their "own" goats that they show, doing all of the care for that goat. No real active 4h groups here that will give dairy goats the time of day, so they show in open shows.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl And how many on here started JUST like this? My hand raised!

My kids and grandkids all started with small county fairs. YOUNG! Here, they didn't HAVE to belong to a 4-H or FFA group. It really didn't matter. They loved going to the fair with their stock. We've done just about everything. Except chickens. They mostly enjoyed being at the fairs with their friends and out of school. ;)

Sanctioned shows are tougher, as the kids have to compete with some pretty experienced showman and adults. But, lots of them have youth shows in conjunction with the open shows.
    My oldest granddaughter is 11...she's hooked- and has her own goats at her house-, the next is 10 and I will be hauling her quite a bit with me this year. My youngest 5yr. is now old enough to go to the ADGA shows. They are worlds of help and though they haven't learned the finer points of showing....they still like to go and I make sure they get in the ring just for the experience.
    Kaye

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I can say this and Pam (Agape) will back me up. TxFlatRocks Nigerian Dwarf goats daughter started showing at 2yr old in showmanship classes with Grandma beside her. She is now 6 I think and can show So it is never too young to start. Get your daughter in the showmanship classes with those little goats and she will learn more than you ever thought.

11. I started out young here also. The first class that I showed in was the PeeWee showmanship at the age of 4. That is the youngest that the class would allow at that point. I went and showed in 4H at the age of 8 and then started doing open classes at the age of 10. Showed in Juniors till I was 21.

I think that showing makes the person grow. I started when I was young and still enjoy it JUST a little bit. I try to make about 10 to 15 shows a year...depends on what we have. But, I also show dairy and beef cattle and sheep. So, I think that its great to show whatever you have. If you stand at the bottom of the class make sure the little one knows why. Then ask their view on what they could do to make it better. Its funny you dont think that they know that much but, when asked they know alittle more than you would think. I was given my first "real" animal at the age of 8 and then it was all up to me to plan the matings. That is something that I will never forget. I got my first DUD the first mating, but went and learned from that.

Ken

12. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Not to hijack this thread but when should a "new to goats" self proclaimed "city girl" start showing? I know I should just jump in with both feet but I've never even SEEN a goat show :blush2 I would like to try though...I think I've got some nice girls that deserve a chance!

13. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I don't have children, but many of the folks who show at the ADGA shows in Montana do. Many are in the showmanship classes and learn so much from the judges. Laura from Saada's grandkids started showing at 2 years old in peewee showmanship. The oldest grandchild has become quite good at showing goats. Lots of the other kids are also pretty good at it by about 8 years old. When I've had several junior does in one class, I've been grateful to the other exhibitors' kids for helping me show my goats.
    Beverrlly - I started showing my goats the first show I attended. Fortunately, I was working for a woman who shows and had her help with grooming and learning how to show. I'm still not as expert at setting my goats up as some folks, but I consider showing a learning experience. I also love being around all the goat people and seeing their animals.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

In my opinion you go to a couple shows and watch and listen to the judges. then jump in and do a showmanship class and your off and running don't wait around 6 yrs like I did. OH and I still don't like showing have only done it twice, don't know squat and am always hoping one of Vicki's or LeeAnnes girls are there to do it for me. So get right in there and get started.

15. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

For us, we were advised to not start our olders in showmanship when we moved out of the city because frankly, they were 16 and 17 and woudl be up against kids who had over a decade of showmanship under their belts. We went along with that, the kids thanked us.

The youngers started pretty much right away. Liberty was 2. She was dedicated to it from the get-go. She recently was in the first ever competitive peewee class I have seen. Rather than pat the kiddies on the head and give them all ribbons, they were expected to set their goats up and answer knowledgably the parts of the goat and pertinient info regarding THEIR goat. Libby won, she worked really hard, she is 5 now. Linnea started showmanship at age 8 (remember no 4H). It lit a vicious competitive streak in her and she works all year to win. She is now 11. The only one of our dc who really doesnt seem to care is our second daughter...but that may just be about goats. Her grandfather just bought her two alpacas (?! animals look more like a caricature than anything REAL!) and she is interested in showing them.

16. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

Nate started when he was 8. He is 13 now and it is really fun for me seeing how he helps the younger kids now. Brandon was 6 - he is 8 now and is just now starting to feel more comfortable. He beat Nate in the best udder section of the local show last summer and that really got him all excited! He has talked non stop about his goat Midnight and they are going to beat Nate's Butterscotch again this year! Brianna was 4 when she started. She is 6 now and is really serious about it. Travis showed his first goat last summer just after turning 4. He did really good! his goat was a little big for him (I thought) so we are getting him a Nigerian from Beverley from this board for him to show this coming season. I think that will be easier for him to handle. My advice is to start young - but don't push. The child should enjoy themselves and look forward to doing it. If not - it probably isn't for them. I have seen parents push their kids to show (not just goats but other animals) and it takes the joy out of it for them. Showing should be enjoyable - not a chore! ;)

17. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Yep go ahead and start, the first goat show I showed at was really the first one I'd ever attended! But now I'm totally hooked, it's so much fun! You've gotta to start learning somewhere...

18. I think that at times it would just be easier to just jump in with both feet and go from there then waiting and watching. That way you do it and no chance that you can talk yourself out of it. Just my two cents

19. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Tell, that to my mom! I can just see me out of the house and her calling me "Hi, Katie I have a show this week. Will you come and show them for me? You know how I am about the ring, showing and all! Please, anything to keep me from walking a goat into the ring! Please HELP!!"

20. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Nice to hear all these different replies. So from the view point of my 7 year old what would be better for her? Just joining 4-h and doing a showmanship class? I'm thinking it's best for her to enjoy herself while we learn how showing goes?