Best time of year to sell?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madeleine M., Jul 5, 2008.

1. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

If I were going to sell one or two does in milk each year, what time of year would I get the most demand and the best price for them?

I thought I remember Vicki once saying that there was a time of year when a lot of people wanted milkers.

2. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I always get the most calls in the spring and then in winter when my does are dry.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

From November to Feb. is when I get the most requests for milkers. After I dry them up and everyone is bred with kids I want.
    Kaye

4. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

" A doe in milk in January is worth her weight in gold". You can get a pretty penny for a doe that time of year. Of course, you probably kept her and awaiting kids out of her, so you don't want to sell her anyway. Funny conundrum.

Doe in milk in October might get a pretty good price, but ten to one, they will want her bred too.

Camille

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I've never tried to sell milkers in the winter...just in the spring. But then there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for them here at all...at least not Alpines. I usually have trouble selling them...maybe because I haven't been raising goats that long and I don't really have a reputation to go off of?

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Winter milk is huge but she has to be just fresh. There are so many wanting milkers if you have one give me a PM with what you have. I can likely send you a buyer. Vicki

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I don't know about you guys....but at least this year, I wished I had at least 2 milkers (and laying hens) for sale in my pens all the time. I don't think that I would have had any trouble selling them for the past 3 to 4 months, and I look for that sept.-nov. stretch to get even more calls......and always will get more calls for just milk when I dry these doe's off late fall. :crazy

The part that is really worrying me this time, is that some of these folks seem to be desparate to get a milk goat right now, and I know they are winding up at the sell barns trying to find whatever they can.

Whim

8. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

I'm just trying to plan, because my mom has given us a limit on how many does we each can keep.

Would it be a good idea to breed in July, kid in December, and then in January decide if I wanted to sell the mother or the doelings.

Vicki, I will definitely let you know when I have goats to sell. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what timing would bring the highest price.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you are planning than I would simply breed now. The sooner in the spring you have milkers for sale the sooner you can sell them. What you might want to do with your little farm is to breed for winter milkers for sale, or winter milk for sale period if you sell milk. Vicki

10. The does we normally breed for mid to late Oct kidding, all got together and broke the Sr. herd sire out, back in Feb. so, four of the five are now due next week :/ BUT.... almost all the rest of the girls (who usually kid in Jan/Feb) were *good girls* & came into heat the first couple weeks of June. Now, just waiting to see who all actually took. I'd like to move to ALL fall kids (well, maybe a doe or two in spring, just for fall milk for us) My fall kids just grow off so well. I have my fingers crossed that everyone turns out to be pregnant. (can't imagine what it would be like on the cold jan nights, not to be up doing barn checks ??? :biggrin ) I ***ALWAYS*** seem to have people calling wanting to buy in Nov & Dec.
    susie, mo ozarks

11. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Summer always seems to be the slowest selling anything here, kids, milkers, etc. There seems to be a rush in November and December (part of it being x-mas and part of it being finally cool enough to enjoy being outside) and then again in the spring. Most of my girls are hopefully bred for November (fingers crossed) and then I am going to breed my junior does for spring. Like Susie said, I have never had a problem selling anything in November/Dec.

12. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

We never have ANYTHING for sale in November or December... Time to re-think things maybe huh? ;)