best "Powdered" milk replacer

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by lovenmranch, Nov 30, 2008.

1. lovenmranch

lovenmranch New Member

looking into getting an automatic milk feeder, Lactec.. but it uses a powdered milk replacer.

I have been using cows milk/bucket method.. when I could get the milk for free, but this year I may have to buy milk and here its about 5.00 a gallon here in ca, and with 6 or 7 kids that would just be too expensive.

I am sure the milk replacer can be expsensive also, but with the machine above I think it would be worth it for me and time saving since I have to work.

For those of you that use or used to use milk replacers can you tell me the best one and about how much (lbs) it takes to raise a kid from 0 to 12 weeks.

thanks
    Melissa

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I will never recommend feeding milk replacer to kids. Sorry, find a source of pasteurized goat or cow milk.

I feed free choice milk to my kids on a lambar. My kids are very growthy and healthy.

Why can't you pasteurize the milk from the dams and free choice milk to the babies? Not a huge amount of work invloved with this method, especially for only 6-7 kids.

Sara

3. lovenmranch

lovenmranch New Member

I am not doing the lambar for CAE prevention. I used to grocery store milk and feed it cold in the lambar and put a frozen 2 litter in the bucket each morning when I went to work and change it out at night, but the milk would freeze at night and it was making it difficult.

But I hate when they drink the cold milk in the morning and they look like they are freezing : (.. and also I was getting the day old milk for free so i put up with them looking and feeling cold because of the free milk, but then I came across the lactek, and it makes warm fresh milk each time they drink all day, and it sounded more natural and healthier for them. which is why I have considered to switch.

Melissa

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Never. Milk replacer is never better than pasteurized goat or cow milk, regardless of the feeding method.

Sara

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I agree with Sara, and would never never use replacer unless I had no other choice..
    I use goat milk or store bought cows milk...
    Barbara

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Milk replacer is NOT good for baby goats. Been there, done that the first year I had goats. Vaccinated kids still got entero and we also had problems with bloat, crypto and cocci that I don't have with milk raised kids. Even when fed good colostrum, kids raised on replacer do not develop the immune system of milk raised kids. Those automatic feeders sound good, but are actually a PITA. My friend used one when she had the commercial dairy. They get nasty inside and are a real pain to clean. They also do not always work right. She used it when she had a big pen of kids. It's not worth all the hassle for just a few kids. The better idea is to feed milk in a lambar. Just immerse the gallon jugs of milk in a sink of hot water to warm them up. You can do other chores while the milk is warming. Then dump it in the lambar and, voila, warm milk for the kids. Kathie

7. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Ok, well since I like to be the odd man out, I might as well add my two cents. While I agree that raising kids on replacer is definately not the best way to do things, I have had success raising individual kids on replacer alone. This is due to purchasing a Nigerian kid after I have already dried up my does. (I am currently raising one on replacer).

As I said, I have not had any issues in my experience. One thing that I have found is you cannot mix your replacer too rich. I follow the instructions carefully (and then add a touch more water than what is called for).

I would never use replacer in leu of pasteurized goat milk, only when absolutely necessary.

Just my little ole' opinion.

Ken in Idaho

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I agree with all of you :) Milk replacer is not for infants, most is soy the rest is whey, and full feeding milk replacer...read the directions they have you nearly starving full sized dairy goats, the reason, so they start eating very very quickly. I am also looking into a warm feeder like you are, but I will be using goatmilk.

I have had very good luck using milk replacer first half and half when kids are eating, about 4 weeks (do not use soy replacers until your kids are eating not nibbling, and moving them to milk replacer made with soy when they are about 8 weeks. We also fed soybean meal as their first food. Now, I don't need many replacements so they get as much goatmilk as they want. Vicki

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Why can't you use those bucket warmers like the people up north put in their water buckets to keep them from freezing? I don't know anything about them. Would they get too hot or curdle the milk?

Also, what about powdered milk like you buy in the grocery store? Anybody ever tried that?

10. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Most powdered milk in the grocery store is fat free. Those kids need that fat.
    Les

11. lovenmranch

lovenmranch New Member

Meyenburg does sell powdered goats milk in bulk, its pretty expensive, but if it would be better for the babies initially i would do that.

vickie,

which feeder are you looking at? and what would you fill the hopper with, if not milk replacer?

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Ok, I for one will tell you those bucket warmers in the milk ~DON'T WORK! Yuck at cleaning them, and the fat/proteins (whatever) stick to the coil and burn it out QUICKLY. :/

The lamb saver that works below the feeder, works ok...until the kids get big enough to use it for a spring board. Then you're back to putting it in 2-3 times a day. Wasted effort to me, since I'd be doing the same with a lambar.

I did see a contraption made at Willow Run, using a board with the nipples placed on it...they used a large hopper to mix powdered milk and ran the tubes through an ice chest with ice bottles.(just think reversed for warmed milk-a heated ice chest).

I also agree with the above about milk replacers. I've used it occasionally BUT...BIG but, it was mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with goat milk until I got enough does fresh to feed all the kids, then they went to straight goat milk.

Best way to use powdered goat?~ have the medical knowledge to get the kids out of bind, if they have a problem with it.
    Kaye

13. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I use Purina kid milk replacer when I need it. I have used it for straight feeding or mixing. I have never had issues with it. But these are my experiences.

Autumn

14. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

I have used milk replacer 1/2 and 1/2 because I was short on GM. I will not do it again unless I absolutely have too. I agree, don't mix it too strong but then again don't make it too weak either. Those silly kids know and will let you know they know! Tammy

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Use only Purina (whey based) or Land o Lakes also whey based and mix double the water that is calls for and then half whole milk and half mixed replacer if this is your only choice. I am feeding 3 this way right now. But and this is a big BUT I don't recommend it except as no other choice.