Best place to give penicillin ???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Apr 7, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Just wondering where the best place to give penicillin on a dairy doe is ? There really isn't a lot of meat, can you give penicillin Sub Q ? Or only IM ? I'm used to giving shots like this to horses, pleanty of muscle there :+) Also, since it would have to be given several days in a row, how do you rotate where you give it ? Is it 4 cc. per 100lbs ?

Thanks !

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

There are many different penicillins so depends on what your using and what for. SQ is how I give it and just alternate areas
    here is the recommended doses for the different pens scroll down till you get to them
    http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,43.0.html

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, just a couple more questions - So even though the bottle says inject IM ONLY, SQ is still ok ( i do prefer SQ ) ? Also, i didn't see it, but where is the best place to inject it SQ then ? Thanks !

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

as far a sq I do behind the front leg but anywhere you can pull up a tent is ok. and yes sq is also the recemended form in goat 101
    just courious but why are you giving pen?

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I'm not giving it yet - but imagine i will have to at some point. I had thought about it with my doe that recently had the edema, and relized i wasn't sure how/where to give it. So it's for future reference :+) Thanks !

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol Check here before you "just give Penn-G". There are a lot of things Penn-G will not work on. Edema, being one of them. ;)

Penn-G is used here mostly for open type wounds, foot scald, but not a lot else.
    Dose on goats is also 6.6cc/100#. More than any other species of animal.
    Kaye

9. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Kaye :+) I do know it won't work on edema, lol, when i was thinking of using it was before i knew it was edema, and was freaking out thinking it was mastitis - silly me, hehe.

I have penn. G and biomyicin - which would have been better had it been a mild case of mastitis ?

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Bio-Mycin. It's a tetracycline and will cross readily into the udder.
    Kaye

11. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I give mine in the muscle of the back leg and just move up or down for each shot and switch legs every day.

-Melissa

12. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

So Bio-Mycin is better for udder related things, interesting - good to know to, as i hear it doesn't sting like others. Can Bio-Mycin be given SQ too then ? all have to go look up the dose for it and put that in my goat notes at home. Thanks !

13. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Just about all shots are sub q in goats. I have given antibiotic IM but it really takes a toll on the goat.

I do now give bo-se im because I kept getting abcesses . Thats why its important not to give shots any place cl could show up ...some people may freak and not believe you that it is from a shot not cl.

I am also now using a diluted bleach spray before giving shots.

Patty

14. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I give penicillin IM in the neck, switching sides. I tend to follow drug labels probably because that's what was drilled to us in college...right drug, right route, right amount, right animal...blah blah blah. I do know many people use things SQ and it seems to work ok. I think it changes the withdrawal times of the drugs as well as how fast it gets into the bloodstream.