Best Oxytetracycline drugs to treat Staph Mastitis

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Hello...

What is everyone's favorite oxytetracylcline based drug to treat a case of staph mastitis? Bio-mycin, Maxim-200, LA 200, Oxi-Tet 100, Agrimycin 200... :whatdoyouthink

Also, what udder infusions are best for staph? Tomorrow, Pirsue, Go-Dry...

Thanks for your advice! It is greatly appreciated! :D

Kristin

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's not my choice of drug. I prefer to use Pennicillin and Gentamycin systemically and Tommorrow with gentamycin in it as the infusion. And Pirsue at dry up of a doe like this.

It's the LA part of the 200 mg tetracycline that cuases problems, it's made to aggrevate the shot site so the drug gets into the blood stream with this irritation it makes. So I just don't use LA200. Vicki

3. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Yea...I would kind of like to use gentamycin too...but my vet won't rx it to me. Ken in MI told me Oxytetracycline was the next best thing.

4. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

My vet won't sell gentamycin to me either. I can get Persue but only by the dozen for $50! Since my does milk samples came back negative for any Mastitis from LSU I've been wondering if I need to use anything when I dry them up.

One doe had some small "lesions" (like pox) on the outside of her udder and teats last February. It was suggested to be staph. No problems since. She is bred and about ready to be dried off.

The other freshened this year with a lopsided, lumpy textured udder but never any problems. She is just now in with a buck to be bred. Not being dried up for a few more months.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Susie I don't dry cow does unless they have had a problem. Vicki

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

You might want to vaccinate her with Lysigin though. I wouldn't give it right now, but give it about 2-3 weeks before she kids and then you have to boost it right after she kids. The first time you give them the shot you have to boost it, then it can be given annually.

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cattlevac/lysigin.html

7. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the issues I described were "problems" that warranted treatment or not. I have vaccinated everyone with Lysigin this fall and will give a booster prior to kidding. :)

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Bio-Mycin is oxytretracyline 200mg/ml...but without the burn of LA 200.
    Kaye