Belly Button Looking Thing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Wendy Tinney, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Ok, I don't know how I missed this until just now, but there is a belly button thing on both sides of my yearlings udder. I think I read something on this around a month ago. What is this? Is it bad? What will happen in the show ring? I remember Vicki saying it makes it a good udder, but didn't know if she was joking. Very stressed about find as she was supposed to go to the Tri-State Fair. :? Thanks!

Wendy

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's actually a gland that puts out grease to keep the udder sliding against the thigh...a good thing. Vicki

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

My yearling Agatha daughter has them too :)

Tracy

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl After too many years to mention...I found a set on an Ober doe last year! Her daughter even has them...and yes, they do secrete an "oil". I've since started cleaning them ever so often when I wash the udder. Otherwise they build up a *caked* spot.
    Kaye

5. eliya

eliya New Member

That is SO interesting! I have never heard of that before. At first I thought you were pulling my leg...

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

We will all be checking our yearling doelings for udder gland buttons , I'm checking mine in the morning :)

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

When I found them on my Saanen FF, I thought I had made a terrible mistake and bought a doe that had had a stick rammed through her udder area. :blush2 I can't stand the gunk that collects there so she has to endure me digging out her button hole every day. :crazy

8. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Does the gunk start collecting after they freshen? Her's is pretty clean, so far.

Wendy

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Well gosh. Guess you learn something every day with these goats don't you. I've never seen this.

10. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Fair isn't until Sept. 19th. Will update you, but everybody says she won't.

Wendy

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No, it's perfectly normal. Like the glands they have under their tails that collects the grease in the smiles over their anus...its not poop :) Vicki

12. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Vicki , I have always cleaned out that smile gland as I thought it was poop and I had a senior day as I forgot to check my doelings for those udder buttons :sigh

13. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

udder buttons. hmmmm. never noticed them before! Interesting! :)

14. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

But it smells a lot worse than poop! ;)