behavior change

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

One of my doelings is 6 months old and up until about a week or so ago she loved having her utter area scratched/rubbed now all of a sudden she don't want to be touched there. She is the same in all other ways.
    Do you think she might be sensitive there now because she is going from being a kid to a more grown up lady---ah :yeahthatyou know hormones and all that kind of stuff.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep and I don't know a goat alive that wants you messing with their udder :) except maybe a kid

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Don't sweat the small stuff. :)

It's normal and nothing to worry about.

Sara

4. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

OK thanks. Here I was thinking "all right" she is desensitized and milking will come easy for her. Guess I'm still thinking in terms of horses. My old mare loved to be scratched their. My Nubian is a month younger than the Lamanch so I guess she'll be next. :sigh

5. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I have one horse that loves me to clean between her udders. Her daughter likes it for about one minute and then will kick me in the head. (I'm getting faster all the time).
    Anita

6. chewie

chewie New Member

same here, my older mare will slide up next to me to get her udder rubbed. i've been doing this with her for years, but my hubby's horse doens't much care for it, get this look on her face like something is way wrong! i am trying to rub my doelings all over, nothing too much, but just so she gets used to my touch. is this wrong? sometimes they are ok with it, most times they kinda buck away.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

She will be fine once she freshens and on the milk stand

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Unless I am holding the collar of my doe will any of them let you touch their udder in the barn. They kick and jump like wild goats who have never been milked. Vicki

9. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

My girls' motto is "Only on the milkstand!"

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

My girls are the same way " Only on the Milkstand "

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Ours don't appreciate being "handled" in the field either, but if you take a pail out there, 7 out of 10 of them will just stand there and let you milk them. :) I guess you'd better have a good reason!

Camille

12. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

How about in the show ring? It's bad enough when women judges walk up and start feeling all over the udder but a man with some of my girls. That can be a funny sight! Mine girls also would just prefer you touch their udders on the stand.

I have had juniors that would let you feel all over their udder and then get on the stand as milkers and act crazy (at first), and vice versa.

Wendy

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Mine know that the show ring and the milkstand is business. Now a jerk of their collar and they had darn better let me mess with them :) The older girls get very set in their ways, like us. Vicki